Chapter 12

Mayas POV

I sank deeper down in my seat and prayed to the heavens, that this one hour would pass by in a blink of an eye. What was I supposed to say and why did he say yes to be the one going there with me!

I sneaked a peek at him from the outer corner of my eye. His eyes were stuck right ahead to road. I sat there almost mishandling my hands just of pure agitation.

Oh goodness. Just please don't say anything to me. I begged in my little head.

He coughed a little and sat up straighter in his seat. He gave me a quick glance and suddenly spoke.

"Maya, about the blind date..."

Oh no, I didn't want to hear any more about it. Was he going to say bad things about me now? Was I ready to get humiliated again? What was I supposed to do in this insane situation? Suddenly I wasn't that tired anymore.

I knew it! I just must pretend that I am sleeping. So, he won't get to say anything. Good plan Maya.

I closed my eyes tightly and hoped that he would sense that there was no point in talking to a sleeping person. And I was right. He gave a silent sigh out of his breath and kept on driving. Not long after that I drifted off to sleep.

I woke up to the light touch on my arm. I opened my eyes and saw James looking at me. He just sat there and stared at me. His hand was still on my arm. As I suddenly shifted and looked out of the window, to see that we had arrived, I cleared my throat and said: "I'm awake now".

He pulled his hand away and got out of the car. I did the same thing. As we walked over to the entrance of the well famous Luxor Limo, we waited to be introduced to an employee. This place was above my imaginations. 

Rose and Connor really took their wedding to the next level with such a fancy car from this place. Luxor Limo was a well-known and respected luxury transportation provider. Connor did earn a lot of money at his job. Or was it his parents?

Soon we were greeted by an older man with a big smile on his face.

"Welcome. How can I help you today?"

James took out the information papers and gave it to the man. "We came to pick up the 1960 classic Rolls Royce".

"Ah, of course. So, you must be the wedding couple then, huh? I must say, you both look very good together!" the man's smile was now even bigger. My eyes widened at his comment.

Oh no, he thinks WE are the couple...

"Of course, we are not. We are only here to pick up the car for the wedding couple". I looked at James with an open mouth.

Did he just say that? "Of course, not..."

Wow, I couldn't believe my own ears. Was he that ashamed to be linked with me?

My chest got tighter and I felt a stung deep inside. I was hurt again. But I did not want him to see that. I wanted him to see me as a confident woman. I smiled at the old man and spoke:

"We are here on behalf of the couple. I, as the bride's maid of honor and him, as the groom's best man. We are only here to make sure that the couple won't experience any stress".

He nodded and led us to the car. As we walked, I scowled at James. What an idiot. That didn't last that long, because when I saw the car that we were about to get back with us, I was smiling like a little girl. What a car! I loved it. It was so beautiful, and it was so classic. It was just my style.

Maya, pull yourself together. Remember, this is not your wedding day, nor are you here with your husband-to-be.

Right. I was here to simply get the car for Rose and Connor. But oh, how I wished I could someday be the bride one day!

James got the keys from the employee and then he waved me over to him. I walked over to him.
"Are you ready to leave? We must hurry back to get there in time. I guess you need some time to get ready for the wedding".

I looked at him blankly. What was that supposed to mean? Was I not pretty enough?

He waved his hand in the air and sighed. "I mean, your bridesmaid dress and all that".

Ah, that's what he meant. I nodded at him and followed him to the Rolls Royce.