Black Cat

"Time spent with cats is never wasted."  - Sigmund Freud

Trying to keep his cool together, Nolan questioned his client again about the previous events

He rephrased his original question as he wanted an honest answer from her. Even if it meant that Piper had to meddle with their conversation.

He was thinking that there must be a reason why Piper interfered with their session. Why did she want all this attention?

With a sigh, he continued to badger Janneth.

"Ms. Hudson, please tell me why Piper chose me?"

The doctor patiently waited for a response, but all he could get was an answer that made him raise his eyebrow.

"You ... You remind her of someone. "

Hearing those words made Nolan uncomfortable. He wanted to ask more about the topic but hesitated to ask Janneth for more information. She sounded jittery with her words, so Nolan didn't pressure her.

"Very well Janneth, I'm glad to get that squared away. Don't know who I remind her of, and don't know why I look like this person. But I'll probably learn more about that later. Anyway, tell me more about Tabitha. What made you think she was a decent witch?"

Thinking carefully about her next choice of words, Janneth thought about her favorite student.

Why did she say she was a good witch? After all, Tabitha admitted she was one and she knew several spells and remedies.

The girl carried a big book in her backpack, yet Janneth never had a good look at it. For all, she knew it could have been her thick notebook, but who in their right minds would carry a load of bricks to school? It had to be a book of spells. And Janneth was sure the book would only open for those who practiced Wicca, for it was for their eyes only, and supposedly Tabitha did that.

Janneth also had memories of the spirit animal - the feline that made her cringe.

There was a creepy black cat that followed Tabitha after class. It was quite odd to see the animal stuck at her side, but it wasn't uncommon for witches not to have one.

Yet, Tabitha never owned a broom or black pointed hat, so, yes it was quite usual to call her a young sorceress.

Janneth had a scowl on her face, flaring her nostrils like a raging bull.

But what made her virtuous? Must all witches be stereotyped as being wicked?

And then a sudden thought gave her an idea.

"I said Tabitha was a good witch because she was one that knew their stream of witchcraft well. She was well versed in her witchery techniques. That I know as I witnessed it, but was always curious on why a black cat followed her."

"Do you care to explain?" The doctor asked as he gained interest in learning about the black cat she mentioned.

Good or bad luck, Nolan knew black cats held symbolic meanings; some bad omens that will soon become of you, which might explain why Piper was still around.

"Tabitha named the stray cat, The Lost Lenore, after a famous dark poem I'm not familiar with. I had my suspicions though after I heard of my late mother's passing. Spooky as it may sound, the cat could have been Piper looking after me, as from that day forward, it stayed in the schoolyard eyeing my whereabouts through the classroom's glass window. I often pulled down the blinds to keep Lenore from view, but when the class bell rang, the flaps would mysteriously rise up by itself. It gave me the shivers and Tabitha witnessed this ordeal. She cared for my safety, so along with her best friends Hansel and Astrid, they would stay with me until I gathered all my belongings and locked up for the day."

Blown away with intrigue, Nolan started taking notes hoping that Joanne wouldn't be coming anytime soon.