Epilogue

The cool evening breeze sweeps through the territory, licking softly at my skin on its way past. Orange hues burn through the sky, the sun is on its way down but continues to illuminate the early evening. My eyes close as my head tilts to absorb the glorious warmth of the setting sun, my fingertips running over and caressing my long healed mark. The mark I received from Christopher.

Tomorrow marks ten years since his death. Ten years since my world came shattering down around me. I remember every second of our short-lived love story. Feelings and memories I had pushed aside initially after his death now play in my mind like a movie. A simple touch to his mark helps me to recall it all; the love, the admiration, the hurt and the loss.

Of course, I hold sadness for his loss, for the life he deserved but never had. But processing the grief has helped me see, what we had, however short-lived it was, it was special. For both him and I. He was special. He is special to me and my memories of him finally bring me happiness. Happiness to have been loved so deeply and have loved just as deeply in return.

Tingling ripples through my veins and I smile to myself at the familiar feeling. Strong arms sweep around my waist and caress my ever-growing belly. Soft lips land on the other side of my neck; his side of my neck. My body comes alive at his touch, my hairs stand on end and heat rushes over me.

"Mmmmm. You're home early." I lean my head to the side, giving him more access to continue his sweet kisses. One hand is placed on top of his on my belly, the other reaches around into his thick dark, slightly greying, hair.

"I couldn't miss tonight. I know how important it is for you." Michael's rough voice floods the crook of my neck sending my body into overdrive. Goosebumps litter my skin as he spins me gently to land a hungry kiss on my deprived mouth. He's only been away on business for two days but it feels like the long-awaited rain coming after a drought. I feel more alive in his presence.

Our heated kiss continues like it always does; tongues dancing passionately while our hands roam freely. My bump fills any space between us, any bigger and it might just keep our lips apart. My stomach flips as we continue our heated exchange until it's not just a stomach flip, it's something more.

I giggle to break our kiss and rub gently at my stomach. Michael joins me in shifting his attention to my belly, kneeling down with a hand on each side, and places a kiss right on my belly button.

"Someone else is happy you're home too." I chuckle at the flurry of kicks coming from my stomach as Michael runs his hands over it, eyes wide at the sensation of the baby's movements. It's not the first time he's felt this, but each time he does his eyes sparkle with excitement and love.

"That's because she's going to be a daddy's girl." He speaks with giddy excitement as he stands to meet my eyes again, his sapphire orbs still twinkling with happiness.

"You're so sure it's another girl huh?" He shrugs and smirks at me. "Well, this one is so annoying, I think it could just be a mini you!" I taunt and wink at him cheekily. He pouts in response. His eyes narrow as he chews at his lip while his hands move slightly around to my sides.

"Is that so? Sick of me already, dear wife?" He starts to tickle furiously at my sides as he speaks and I squeal at the unexpected attack, begging for him to stop through giggles.

He pulls me in tight to him, his fingers softly grazing my cheek and pushing my locks out of the way. The silliness is gone, replaced by a serious tone, yet filled with so much love.

"Whatever this baby is, I will love them just as much as I do Anya and just as much as you. You have fulfilled my dreams being mine and giving me a family. I love you, Meila. More and more each day and I didn't know that was possible." His deep melodic voice floats in the air and soaks into my soul.