As Ready As I'll Ever Be

I let the cold water trickle over my body and soothe the burning on my skin. It's a shame it can't do anything about the burning need between my legs. I roll my eyes and rest my head on the glass, closing my eyes to think about the past twenty four hours.

This sucks.

Oh poor Meila has the love and desire of two sexy men.

My wolf taunts me from inside my head. Bitch. She of all people should understand, she's literally feeling it with me. I shut the shower off and wrap myself in a towel, making my way to the mirror.

Michael is in the bedroom, I can hear him changing and cursing lightly under his breath. I brought my clothes to the bathroom with me to change, partly because the bedroom has no door thanks to Christopher, but partly because it suddenly feels wrong to be changing in Michael's presence. Am I teasing him? Am I betraying my mate? This situation has thrown me for a loop and I have no idea how to move forward.

Now is the wrong time to be dealing with mate drama. I am about to reveal my... gifts... to the strongest Alphas in the country. I shouldn't be worrying about boys. I have bigger fish to fry.

I swiftly get dressed in my little black pencil dress and Louboutin classic black pumps. Then style my golden hair into soft waves draped over one shoulder and apply my makeup, making sure to be precise with my signature red lip.

When I exit the bathroom Michael is sitting on the bed waiting for me, dressed in his smart suit. He gives me a weak smile as I walk over to him. I stand right in front of him and he gently leans his head on my stomach, his hands run up my legs and rest on the back of my thighs. I softly run my hands through his thick, wavy hair to comfort him.

"Are you ready for this?" He says, head still resting on my stomach.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I reply as he stands.

I take his hand in mine and give it a light squeeze and we walk together, side by side, to the meeting of the Council of the Alphas.

*****

"No!" I scream and run to stand in front of the two young rogues accused of stealing.

Alpha Francis stands in front of me now, whip in hand.

"Meila, get out of my way before I lash you too." He growls at me, aware that half the pack is watching our altercation.

"They are just children, Alpha. Younger than me. It's not fair!" I scream at him, his eyes burn onto me as his rage builds.

"Theft is theft, Meila. They have stolen food from us, we cannot let this slide without punishment." He adjusts the whip in his hand, the jagged silver tip shinning in the sun.

Ignoring him, I turn to the young rogues.

"How are old are you? Where are your parents?" I ask them calmly.

"I am 13 and my brother is 11. Our parents are dead, we are alone and have to fend for ourselves." The taller of the two answers, his eyes trained on the floor as his younger sibling sobs to his right.

I turn back to face Alpha Francis.

"This is cruel." I growl.

"I am the Alpha, Meila. You will stand aside or you will be punished with them." His voice is deep and threatening, but I do not flinch. I am not afraid.

I turn back to the rogues.

"Why are you rogues?" I ask returning to my calm tone of voice.