It Hurts

I'm supposed to be the cure.

I'm supposed to save us all.

But that 16 year old boy is dead and there is nothing I can do.

I've felt numb since Carl gave me the news. We've talked about why it didn't work; he was most probably too far gone. But I can't help but think, would it have worked if he bit me? And what if I'd done it sooner?

I try to push forward and not dwell on it, but that's not the type of person I am. I care, too much sometimes, and I can't just forget.

There is no real news on The Elite. The other Alphas have either never heard of it or only heard whispers of some secret werewolf society that died out decades ago. Apparently it didn't die out though, as it appears they have something to do with the diseased wolves and, as the rogue had said, they were coming for us. For me.

The car draws to a stop outside my pack house. I look around and notice something is off.

There are no wolves training, only some lazily lounging on the grass. I look around as I enter the house and notice no one seems to be busy at work. In fact, it's basically empty.

Where is everyone?

My mind link to Michael goes unanswered as I march around the house looking for answers. I can hear the faint sound of music coming from upstairs along with thuds and laughter.

I ask Christopher to go in search of the warriors and direct them to start training. He can lead them in Michael's absence.

Once he's gone, I turn my attention back to the noise coming from upstairs. I know exactly which room it is coming from before I even make it up the stairs.

Standing in the corridor, the smell of alcohol and smoke lingers in the air. I stifle a growl and march to what used to be the spare bedroom, now Michael's bedroom.

The smell and noise only increase as I stand in front of the door, annoyance building in my stomach and muscles twitching in frustration.

I bang the door three times and wait, the annoyance growing rapidly and flowing through my body. I hear whispers and giggles as footsteps approach the door. The door swings open to reveal a petite and pretty girl wrapped in a towel, smiling brightly.

Her smile quickly fades as she catches the snarl forming on my lips.

"A-alpha Meila, y-you're back." Her head bows and her voice shakes.

fucking slut.

I agree with my wolf's sentiments but I hold back and keep my cool composure.

"I am. Please leave so I can speak with Michael." I speak through gritted teeth and my jaw clenches as she gathers her clothes and rushes passed me. I step into the room and slam the door behind me. Annoyance has turned to anger and the anger is quickly building to rage.

"What the fuck are you playing at?" I shout across the room. Michael rolls out of the bed and tries to stand. He loses balance and falls back down before trying again and finally rising to his feet. He sways slightly before turning to me and flashing me a sloppy smirk.

"You're drunk." I snap as he continues to sway, not caring he is standing completely naked across the room.

He shrugs and I avert my gaze.

"Nothing you haven't seen before, baby." His words are slurred as he starts to walk unsteadily in my direction. I reach down for a pair of joggers and throw them at him, smacking him in the face and almost knocking him over. He rolls his eyes and casually puts them on, like he wasn't standing naked in front of his now marked ex.