Play Your Part

I had been given a glass of wine during dinner that evening, usually I did not indulge in such pleasures, for fear of coming across as silly, behaving in a way I shouldn't in front of them, when I would undoubtedly become intoxicated. However, I knew I would need the liquid courage that the alcohol offered if I was to go through with what I had planned.

Andrés had been charged with the task of getting me to bed, while Martin had stayed behind to pick up the plates. With a chaste kiss on my cheek, and a soft goodnight from Martin, I was led away to my rooms.

///

My pencil skirt was difficult to walk in, honestly I had no idea how Monica did it, day after day, walking gracefully in her tasteful, yet skintight dresses and skirts, towering over us in her heels, she made it look so simple. Granted, she was thinner than I, but still. The guards who stood at the front doors gave me a smile and a "Buenos días," as I walked in, and we made small talk as we got the whole process over with.

They took their time checking my bag's contents, even after all these months of me working here, they went through everything meticulously.

God forbid I'd try to sneak in a gun and hold all of these poor souls hostage.

When I was given the all clear, I gave the guards one last smile, and walked off, mentally wishing them good luck.

I was fetching papers on Monica's order when the shots rang out. Despite the fact that I knew this was all part of the plan, I felt my heart jump into my throat. This was it, time to play the part of a good little hostage, making sure to keep everyone in line and stomp on any would-be rebellions, all while watching my teammates' backs. I only hoped my teammates would also watch out for me. I didn't really trust any of them, but I trusted Berlin to be able to keep them in line.

///

What I remember is as follows.

I was seated on my bed, while Andrés helped me remove my shoes, half kneeling on the floor. I was giggling, stroking his hair, feeling like Cinderella. He laughed when I told him so, but his words didn't register in my mind. I was already planning what I would do next, and my heart was in my throat because of it. I gathered all of my courage, and I bent down, kissing him straight on the mouth.

He had pulled away immediately, and I felt my cheeks burn in embarrassment and fear. "I-I'm sorry." I had stuttered, not even knowing how I was going to fix this, but instinctively understanding that things would never be the same.

"You are drunk. Let's get you to bed." He had turned away from me then, and I had pulled him back, always tugging on his arm, always begging for his affections, his attention. "I am not drunk." Lie. "Please? I want this." I sounded ridiculously childish even to my own ears, and I burned with the taste of his lips.

"Well I don't! You're a child for fuck's sake!" He had snarled, eyes blazing. I had never seen him look so upset, and I shrunk under his gaze, feeling small.

"I'm going to be eighteen in a week, so don't you dare use that as an excuse!" I was already crying by then, hiccuping pathetically, I watched through blurry eyes as he left without a backward glance, slamming the door loudly.

///

The screams were soon to follow, and before I knew it, I was being herded alongside the rest of the workers into the main lobby by a large man, Oslo, I was sure, wearing a red jumpsuit and holding a machine gun. Making sure to play my part, I let my hands begin to shake, it wasn't hard with the amount of adrenaline that was coursing through my bloodstream. I suddenly wished I had a gun. I was shoved none too gently into line, alongside the other hostages, before being given a blindfold, with barked orders to put it on.

I wasn't looking forward to what would follow, I didn't like the idea of having my sight taken away from me, but alas, I had to play my part and make it as believable as possible. The older woman next to me grabbed at my arm, her nails digging into my skin painfully, and I heard her sharp intake of breath as Berlin began to speak.

"Ladies and gentlemen, good morning. I am the one in charge." He paused for effect, and I froze, feeling his voice reverberate through my very being. I had forgotten just how hearing him speak could affect me so. "I would like to start off, by offering my sincerest apologies. This is no way to end the working week, but alas, you are now here as our hostages, if you obey my every command, I guarantee you will get out of here alive." By the end of his little speech, most of our hostages were crying, understanding the implicit threat behind his words.

Still blindfolded, they began the task of taking away our cellphones. I heard Denver and Rio snicker at Arturo Roman's passcode, and my own lips twitched in response, glad that everyone was unable to see my reaction.

I smelled his distinctive cologne, before he had even approached, he stayed still for an uncomfortable amount of time in front of me, and I felt the weight of his stare heavy on the bare skin of my neck and shoulders. I forced myself not to fidget, standing straight before him, but Denver must have sensed the awkwardness too because he asked for my phone and passcode, moving to stand in front of me.

I sensed Berlin shift, before he took my cellphone out of my hands, his large fingers grazing my wrist purposefully while I stuttered out my password, willing my blood to stop rushing so loudly through my veins.

///

Tatiana was introduced to us the very next week.

By the time she became a permanent fixture in our lives, I was already planning my escape. I could continue living the lie I'd created.

And I did.

///

Don't forget to comment!