Chapter 13

Y/n's P.O.V.

I saw Thomas wall up to one of the glass things and tap a button on it. When he did, a video popped up and a big screen behind us and started playing. There was a woman wearing all white. She had her hair up in a tight hut and a red lipstick.

 "Hello, I'm doctor Ava Paige." 

I looked around at the faces of my friends.

"I'm the director of operations at the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this that means that you've successfully completed the maze trials." 

I looked around at the dozens of people walking around in lab coats behind her on the screen. 

"I wish I could be there to congratulate you in person," she paused as an alarm stared blaring behind her. "But circumstances seem to have prevented. I'm sure by now you must all be very confused, angry, frightened. I can assure you, that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, was all done for a reason."

I watched as the people behind her began running around in a frenzy. Carrying things to rooms and rushing around. 

"You won't remember, but the sun has scortched our world," she said as the video switched to a picture of the sun. "Billions of lives lost to fire." 

It showed a house on fire on the screen. 

"Famine," it showed a field on fire now. 

"Suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable." 

The screen then showed several pictures of dead bodies.

"What came after was worse. We call it the flare," she explained as the picture went to a weird video of bacteria. "A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent. Unpredictable." 

The screen showed a person strapped to a bed. They had large black veins all over their body, and they were struggling against their restraints.

"Incurable... or so we thought." 

The screen went back to the woman. 

"In time a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed, inside harsh environments where their brain activity could be studied."

I looked around at my friends.

 "All in an effort to understand what makes them different. What makes you different." 

There were lights flashing around her as she spoke. 

"You may not realize it, but you're very important. Unfortunately your trials have just begun. As you'll no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow. People are scared."

There were people with heavy black suits and guns everywhere in the video, now. They came storming in the building and marched around in the background. I could faintly hear the gunshots.
"It may be too late for us . . . For me . . . but not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember . . ." she said as the glass behind her shattered from the impact of several bullets. She held a pistol up to the side of her head. 

"Wicked is good," she whispered as she squeezed her eyes shut. I turned away as I heard the sound of the gunshot. We turned and saw the room where her body was laying on the ground. We all started to walk to it, when a door behind us opened. It led outside.

"Is it over?" Chuck asked, looking up at Thomas. 

"She said we were important," Newt recalled as he glanced down at me. He looked at Thomas. "Well what are supposed to do now?"