Chapter 16

I gasp sitting straight up my heart's pounding just as hard as it was when I passed out, and the only thought my brain can process is Quentin. Where is he? I'm in a hospital bed all alone with no one in the room which doesn't leave me with a good feeling. The machines around me blare as I rip cords and needles out of my arms so I can find Quentin since he isn't in this room. Carl frantically races into the room his eyes widening once he sees that I'm awake.

"Tessa Stop!" I struggle in Carl's arms trying to push him away, but the stupid cast on my arm makes it a lot harder. He pushes on my shoulders holding me down on the bed doing his best to restrain me without actually hurting me. My fear only grows when Quentin doesn't immediately run into the room after him.

"Quentin!" I yell hoping that I'll hear his soft spoken voice reassuring me that he's fine and everything's going to be okay.

"He's alive." I fall limp in his arms finally looking up at him. His word choice is what stops me dead in my tracks. Carl didn't say he was okay or that he's fine, he said "he's alive" which probably means barely.

"I need to see him." I whisper out my voice cracking as I feel hot tears spilling down my cheeks. Carl gives me a sad smile while gently helping me sit up. My muscles ache as I shift so my legs are dangling off the side of the bed.

"I'll bring you to see him right after the doctor checks you over." He tries to bargain but I don't compromise. Pushing myself off the bed I go to walk towards the door almost falling flat on my face, but thankfully Carl catches me.

"Shit Tessa! Okay fine the doctor can look you over in his room." Carl sets me on the bed giving me a second to tap the cast that's wrapped around my lower leg against the ground. "Here I'll wheel you there." He pushes the wheel chair next to the bed and helps me get into it even though I could have easily done it on my own. I already want this cast off as soon as possible.

No words are spoken between us as he pushes me down the empty hallway towards a closed door. There are no visible windows but the lights are dimmed so I'm guessing it's late in the evening. Carl steps around me opening the door with one hand while maneuvering me in with the other. The lights are off in the room except for a small bedside lamp illuminating his face.

A whimper escapes me as the bruises and small cuts become visible all over his face. He's laying on his side with a tube down his throat which I know helps with your breathing. My heart shatters as I remember why he is here in the first place, me.

"Quentin." I cry grasping his hand in mine making sure to avoid the IV taped to it. Carl gets me as close to the bed as he can before taking a step back. "I'm so sorry." I whisper brushing the hair out of his face even though his eyes aren't open. He looks so peaceful despite the dark circles under his eyes and how pale he looks due to all the blood loss.

"It's not your fault." The horse voice startles me so bad I almost jump out of my chair. I didn't even notice Oliver slouched over on the couch  by the widow. He looks wrecked almost as if he hasn't slept in days. "They came out of no where." He frowns rubbing his eyes with the palms of his hands.

"What happened?" I only know that we were attacked. I wasn't there when it started, and I passed out before seeing how it ended. The fact we are all alive right now means that back up must have arrived in time. My dads are probably freezing out right now.

"We had just finished up and were about to head back to the pack house when the first wave came in. At first I figured it was a group of rogues who just wanted to cause some issues but then more kept coming. People mind linked each other to hide and bunker down while more warriors showed up to help. You showed up shortly after so you know the rest, but after both you and Quentin were down the rogues drew back and left." I snap my attention away from Quentin to look up at Oliver. Why would the rogues leave just like that? Was there intention to hurt Quentin and I?