26

Kiana

It's been two week since I got back home, the news of Rodger Sax deaths spread like wildfire the next day, apparently he forgot something on the stove and the place caught fire, he died in his sleep due to smoke inhalation, the fire came in contact with some wires which caused the building to blow up and come crumbling down. I'd have come up with a better story but at least it's something far from the truth.

All I've done is rest practically being a lazy bug, shopping and hanging out with Maria.

At first I was kind of skeptical that she just showed at my place and how she knew I left Russia but after a while she offers a service to Brian which he pays for and he knows how close we are so he can just move her here to work for him.

I get out of bed and enter my en-suite bathroom. Finishing up my morning routine I get dressed in black jeans, a tank top, and air force shoes.

"Maria," I shout out but I get no response so I assume she went out. I walk into the kitchen looking for my keys as I want to eat out for breakfast before heading to work. But next to my keys is a small note. 'Went to work. Catch you later, xoxo.'

I guess that sets it. I get in the car driving to the cafe, stuck in traffick I think back Rodger. My gut tells me his case is not really over. He was so cocky and so sure that his death would be avenged, whether it was his men or someone else. Yes, I killed him and left no evidence of any involvement, but there is something else that I'm missing, and as an assassin, when your gut tells you something you certainly don't ignore it.

A car hoots from behind me to signal me to move. Parking the car at the cafe I get out of the car and enter the cafe after locking the car.

Luckily the cafe wasn't full so I went directly to the counter. "Kiana!" Evaleen shouts from behind the counter.

"I'm back." I laugh.

"You know whilst you were gone the store had a giveaway to the customers to thank them supporting our establishment. What we did we asked customers to leave their contacts and from there we choose a few people to enjoy freebies." She taps her fingers in her moment of excitement. Evaleen might just be a employee but her job is her passion. "We are actually doing it again so you should leave your contacts."

"Of course I am. I wouldn't want to miss out on some freebies." I write my number down on a napkin she hands me.

"Great, and now for your order,"

"Can I have your morning special and a cup of coffee with plenty of milk," I order. "And please make the coffee extra hot." I add.

Nodding she types in my order and I pay the rightful amount.

"I'll have a waitress call you out when your order is ready."

"Okay, thank you, Evaleen." I take a seat in a booth as I wait for my order.

As I wait I keep thinking about the name Marko. Who is the person and what relations did they have with Rodger?

Deep in my thoughts, I don't realize my name being called out until a waitress approaches my booth.

"Kiana?" She asks.

"Yes, that's me."

"Your order." She places the food and coffee in front of me. "We called out your name but there was no response, luckily Evaleen pointed you out as Kiana."

"Thanks," I say. "And sorry, I didn't hear. Deep in my thoughts."

"It's okay." She says. "Enjoy your food and if you need anything you can call me." She turns around going back to the kitchen.

I eat my food in peace and once I'm done I leave a tip on the table as I leave.

●●●

I enter the quiet building, at least a hundred people walk around the place minding their own business without a sound or squeak of a shoe or click of a heel. Brian runs a tight ship around here, even I am a little afraid of him sometimes.

"Hi Gray," I greet passing his desk.

"Hey, Kiana. If you going into Brian's office, knock, there is someone in there with him." He shouts after me.

Knocking on the door I wait for him to allow me access.

"Come in." I hear.

Entering inside I'm surprised to find a familiar face standing in Brian's office.

"Maria? What are you doing here? I thought you said you going to work."

She fully faces me, "I am at work."

"I didn't know you clean for us now." I raise my eyebrow at her, I thought we told each other everything, except about my real job of course.

"Well actually, I don't work as a helper..." Her eyes keep jumping to the ceiling to the walls.

"What do you work as then?" I cross my arms across my chest.

She looks at Brian for confirmation who nods to tell me whatever it is I'm to know. "I'm an assassin. Just like you."

I'm shocked and surprised at the same time, I look to Brian for confirmation to which he nods. "Wow, I'm surprised. I mean I had my suspicions about you but never an assassin."

"Are you upset?" She nervously bite lip. I think about it, I mean there is nothing to be upset about because I was doing the same thing she was doing to me so I have no right to be upset with her.

"No. I'm not upset." I softly smile at her.

Our moment is disturbed by Brian, "Good, that's over. Kiana, its good that you here. I was going to call you to come to work but good thing I don't have to now." He pulls me in hug despite his serious voice.

"Well, you know how devoted I am at what I do," I wrap my arms around him.

"Well, that is true." He says. "Come on let's go to the briefing room."

We all walk into the briefing room, "We did what you asked." He says. "We found no one related to Rodger with the name Marko. No business associates or family member, and he doesn't even have a son." He finalizes. "He is probably no one, Kiana. You should be happy that you back home and celebrating with friends and that big cheque you got."

"Yeah, whatever," I say. "See you tomorrow Brian. I'm off." I leave the the boarding room.

Something tells me something big is about to take place, and I need to be ready for it.

----------------------

Q:

How are you guys doing?

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow.

❤❤❤