Chapter 8

DEIDRE

Deidre walked out of class, eyes on her schedule. Biology was next. Then, her mind wandered back to Thomas. Yes, she was the one ignoring him for about a week or more, yet, she wanted him to speak to her. 

It hurt that he hadn't reached out. Although, she had been terrified of him the day when he had attacked the guy, her heart went out to him. He had defended her honour. She had to hear his voice, craved his close proximity and cuddle up to him like a purring kitten.

She slammed her locker shut, hand flying to her chest at the discovery of Thomas standing there. "Hey, tutor."

"What?"

"Hey, tutor girl," he greeted with a proud smile.

Her eyes widened. "Excuse me?"

"You're my new tutor."

"What the fuck?" Her hand cupped over her mouth, shocked at the foul language.

Thomas smirked. "Wow. Princess uses such foul language."

"I-I didn't—"

"No problem, Princess." Deidre stood frozen as he walked over to her, their arms grazed, heat rushed off his warm body and she had to take a sharp intake of breath. "But just know that the next time you use such foul words, then I won't hesitate to clean your mouth."

She didn't understand the meaning behind his words, but she figured it to be dirty. He had a dirty mouth, so it wouldn't have been a surprise. 

He leaned against a locker next to her, a sly smile appearing. But it seemed forced.

"Why weren't you in class?"

"Why? Did you miss me?"

Her cheeks heated. In all reality, she had missed him. A lot.

"No. I mean, yes... I don't know," she said, fidgeted with her fingers.

Thomas grinned, dimples flashing. "I'm glad you did. But I don't get why because as far as I know, you have been ignoring me for weeks."

"I didn't mean to. I swear. But I just... I don't know many people at this school and if I don't know them then I can't trust them. And since I don't know you, then I can't trust you."

He was in thought, a guilty look in his brown eyes. "Deidre, I know you may not trust me. But trust me when I say I am one of those people you should trust. I would never hurt you."

He sounded kind, thoughtful and sincere. Her belief in him levelled up. "So, why weren't you in class?"

His smile fell immediately. "I was around, but it's nothing you need to worry about."

"Did something happen? You don't look too well," she said with concern.

He looked sad, damaged, wrecked.

"No. Nothing. I am fine," he lied through gritted teeth.

They were strangers, but she had to comfort him. He was unwell and her heart had needles pierced into it out of the worry.

Deidre blew out a breath, stepped closer. "Thomas, what happened?"

Thomas was frozen in place, His dark eyebrows knitted together when her hand reached to touch him. He was startled, he hadn't expected this. "I'm serious, you don't need to worry about it."

"You can talk to me," she said. "I know you may not really know me, but I believe we can be friends. So, if you need someone to talk to, if you are having problems, then just know that... I am here for you. No matter the problem."