Chapter 8

"Not so fast, Sam," Liann said, waving her finger in front of Sam's face.

"Get out of my way, Liann! I need to go," he growled, smirking as he saw the flicker of fear in her eyes.

"Well, Zach told me that the mate bond might make you do rash things so I am in charge of stopping that from happening," she informed him haughtily.

"Good luck with that," he said before shoving her out of the way and leaving the packhouse.

Angrily, Liann mind-linked the only person she knew who could help her keep Sam in control; Astrid.

'Don't let him find her. Distract him or do something but make sure he doesn't find her,' she said.

After a brief pause, she added, 'If he doesn't cooperate, get rid of him.'

Astrid raised an eyebrow when she got the message.

'I expect payment for this job too,' she told Liann.

'I know. I will get Zach killed and your payment will be the Alpha title that you covet so much."

Astrid clenched her teeth at the tone the young lady was using with her but instead of arguing to her about it, she got to the task on hand.

One thing she knew for sure was, once she became Alpha of the Freedom Knights pack, Liann will be the first pack member to die. The first of many others.

With that thought in her head, she smiled before getting out of the tent and taking off, leaving a trail of dust and leaves behind her. 

-----

Sierra sauntered into the packhouse with a grin on her face, her bag slung over her right shoulder while using her left hand to drag her suitcase.

"I'm back, my loves!" she exclaimed, her loud voice ringing throughout the packhouse.

She frowned when no one came out to give her a hug or ask how her trip went.

That had been the usual custom whenever she travelled away from the pack for a week or more. This time, it had been a one week trip to France and everyone in the pack had been excited to see her go, knowing that she will return with brilliant stories.

Now, seeing no one bustling about, the packhouse feeling so gloomy and the silence that hung around her made her wonder whether she had come back to the right place.

"Hello, everyone!" she yelled once more, hoping for another response, in which people came out from their hiding spots and talked to her, or at least, made their presence known.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she walked towards her room, deep in thought, only scream in delight when she saw her Aunt Arissa standing a few feet away from her.

"Auntie Risa! How are you? I haven't seen you for so long," she said once she had dropped everything on the ground to give her favourite, and only, aunt a huge hug

Arissa was not Sierra's real aunt, since Sierra had been adopted as a child after her parents passed away in a car accident. However, she loved her adopted family just as much as she had loved her real family so she never treated them any differently and neither did they to her.

"I'm alright. What about you? How was your trip?" her aunt replied, but Sierra could sense the sadness in her tone.

Pulling away, she looked into Sam's mother's eyes. "My trip was great but what has happened to you?" she asked softly, her eyes widening as she took in her aunt's red eyes that looked as if, until a few minutes ago, she had been weeping uncontrollably.