69

*Jayons POV*

I begin putting on my shoes, sliding on a white tee when I heard my grandmother call my name.

I had still been in my room all day. My head was too heavy for me to think about leaving it. I needed to be alone, but now I was going to my grandma's where I knew I'd be in peace. I looked at the envelope she had given me earlier, trying to wonder what was inside. She told me to open it when I needed too, but what if I needed to now? I missed Dj, I missed being able to call her mine. She had been the first girl I had taken serious. That was a big deal to me.

"Jayon!" I hear my grandmother call my name again. I get up, quickly grabbing the bag I had used to carry my clothes and hygiene products while heading down the stairs to see my mother in the kitchen, noticing Jasmine had fell asleep on the couch. How could someone be tired a day before their birthday?

"Sorry grandma," I say. "I got my clothes in this backpack. Mom, I'll be at grandmas for a couple days,"

"She told me," my mom said. She was washing dishes, but she had a smile on her face. "She also told me you didn't want Jasmine to come,"

"Well nah I didn't. It's her birthday tomorrow shouldn't she be getting ready for that?"

"Mhm, go ahead Jayon," she said.

I walked in the kitchen, giving my mom a kiss on her cheek. "I'll be here tomorrow for the party though,"

"I know you will," she said. "Have a good time with your grandmother. Mom, I love you as well,"

"Love you too Jenissa," my grandmother said. It had been a long line of having a J in front of our names in this family. Even my grandmas name started with a J. It was Jewel.

We left out of the door smoothly, hoping Jasmine didn't wake up before we shut the door. We were in my car within seconds. My grandmother watched as I started the car and smiled. "I remember teaching you how to drive at only 12," she said.

"I'll never forget the day," I told her. It was like yesterday when my grandma put me behind the wheel. I was terrified, but she was determined to get me driving at an early age. She always told me to never depend on any one but myself, which is why she spent almost a year trying to get me prepared. It paid off, the yelling, the panicking, it all paid off.

She had taught me so many things that to this day , I still would never forget how to do. That's why my heart towards her was so big, because she was there for me when my mother wasn't.

"Jayon, I want you to know how special you are. This girl Dj will come back to you in the end. Maybe when you least expect her too,"

"Grandma I didn't even bring her up, but thank you for telling me that,"

"I can see it in your eyes how hurt you are by this, you didn't have to bring it up. I'm your grandmother and I practically raised you, I can tell when you're off,"

"Okay grandma," I say. I didn't wanna go back and forth with her.

"Have you talked to her since last night?"

"No," I say, pulling out of the driveway. We ended up on the road quickly. I turned the radio on and played her favorite radio station which had been 88.5.

"I wish I could have met her," she said, making my head feel more heavy.

"Me too," I agreed. "She always did want to meet you, I should have been brought her to you,"

"Oh Jayon," she looked at me. "It's okay,"

"It's not grandma."

She nodded, realizing her favorite song had been playing on the radio. Watching her jam along to it made me feel more relaxed about everything.