Chapter 24

Cupid hurries upstairs to change clothes, leaving me and Cal lingering by the door to the garage. Cal doesn't speak and his shoulders are tensed – silvery eyes unfocused as he ponders over our latest mythological dilemma. I use the time to text Charlie.

Was James at the Love Shack earlier during the attack?

I watch the screen, tapping my foot against the hardwood floor. After a few moments Cal turns his head sharply. "Will you desist?"

I raise my hands in mock surrender. "Sorry..."

There's a thudding upstairs as Cupid moves around his bedroom. Cal leans back against the wall, head resting beside a framed black and white James Bond print, and closes his eyes. I turn my attention back to the screen of my phone.

There's a new message.

Yeah. I saw him just before you & Cal arrived. Why?

My heart sinks. I turn to Cal. "James was at the Love Shack earlier."

Cal's eyes flick open, wary. "So, he's definitely...."

"Yeah, Looks like..."

I message Charlie back.

James is a cupid. It wasn't just Ardor arrows shot earlier. Do you know where he is now?

I look up slowly as heat and shadow engulfs me. Cupid stands at the foot of his staircase in jeans and a pale blue shirt – a bow and quiver over his back – and two more hanging over his arm.

"You two look cheerful." Neither Cal or I dignify his sarcasm with a response as he passes us and opens the garage door. He points his keys at the car and a beep resounds around the dark room, "So, where we going?"

I check my phone to read Charlie's reply.

"She saw him at the Forever Falls town square," I say. "The Love Shack is closed but he's hanging around outside with a couple of other kids from school. You think they're cupids now too?"

"Knowing our luck, yeah probably," says Cupid – putting the weapons into the trunk.

We all get into the car.

"So, your ex-boyfriend is a cupid now. You sure attract the drama, don't you?" says Cupid, putting his keys in the ignition.

I catch his eye in the rear-view mirror. "And whose fault is that?"

Cupid smirks. "Point taken."

"Can we please hurry?" says Cal. "I want to get this James turning into a cupid situation sorted quickly, so we can move on to the other, more pressing, Underworld and the Furies situation."

Cupid rolls his eyes, but he pushes a button to open the garage door. Then the engine roars into life and he drives out into the night.

***