Chapter 16

I stand there, in the Cupids Matchmaking Service combat room, and it feels like time has stopped. I can feel Cal and Crystal both looking at me, but my gaze is locked on Cupid's. There's an uncharacteristically serious look on his face - his jawline hard, and the muscles in his arms tensed. His skin is damp with sweat, and his black top clings to his hard torso.

"I..." I start.

His eyebrows furrow, almost imperceptibly, and a slight crease forms on his forehead. I can see the suspicion in his eyes and it makes my heart pump faster – cool adrenaline surging through my body. I feel almost lightheaded.

He thought I was hiding something earlier. And now, from my tense, awkward posture, and my inability to speak, he knows for sure.

Valentine. I've been hiding Valentine.

I've been hiding his serial killing, sadistic brother - who says my feelings for him brought back his even more sadistic mother.

The bright lights of the combat room beat down on my head and make my skin feel too hot.

"What is it?" says Cal sharply – clearly getting impatient at me standing there in the middle of the pink mats like I'm an actor with stage fright.

I swallow hard. My mouth is dry. Then I drag my gaze to Cal's – no longer able to look Cupid in the eye.

"I...I know who the soul is."

No-one moves.

"Who?" says Cupid.

I take a deep breath. "It's Venus."

Silence. Tension hangs heavy in the air; it curls around the pink and black archery targets, and weighs heavily down on the four of us. I don't move my gaze from Cal's – though I catch Cupid shift out of the corner of my eye, and can feel Crystal stand straighter beside me.

Cal's silvery eyes darken. "Is this some kind of joke, Lila?" I open my mouth to reply but he cuts across me. "Because that is not something to joke about. It's not amusing in the slightest. I'm disappointed that you would say such a thing. You should not..."

"It's not a joke, Cal," Irritation at his self-righteous monologue temporarily snaps me out of my speechlessness.

I turn to Cupid who is looking at me in utter confusion. Then I meet Crystal's strong gaze.

She almost imperceptibly arches her eyebrows – a non-verbal question.

I incline my head. Yes. It's true.

"How do you know?" she says.

"I...someone told me..."

"Who?"

A run a hand over my mouth – feeling the intensity of both Cupid and Cal's gazes.

Just say it. Just get it over with.