Chapter 18: Kimberley

I stand outside on the sidewalk curb with other kids who served detention with me.   I cross my arms holding them close to my body for warmth.  “Come on Logan,” I grumble freezing my ass off.  Suddenly a grey car pulls up in front of me.  Jason is picking me up? Great, I think to myself.  He presses the button that makes the door swing open and I hop in. 

                I put my backpack on the floor beneath me and buckle my seatbelt.             

                “Hey,” he says as I get in.  I really am not in the mood to talk to him. 

                “Hi,” I grunt back. 

                “Look,” he starts the car and we start to drive, “I know you’re at an edge with me right now-“

                “And with Blake and with Logan.  You guys need to understand that I’m capable of doing things myself.”  I say to him.  He just nods and keeps his eyes on the road.   

                “Yeah, and I can see you were handling it very well today.”  My hands clench into tight fists and my anger boils. But I knew he is right.  I let out a sigh and unclench my hands and relax. 

                “I didn’t mean to, but you know how Drake is.  You saw him on the bus this morning.  He’s a huge jerk!”

                “Kimberley, yes we all know you and Drake have a ‘rivalry’ but that doesn’t mean it has to be fought by violence.  Try to keep it at a talking level.”

                “But you know I’m not good at comebacks.  That’s why my only defense is fighting.  I have to show him he can’t hurt me!”  I try to explain to him.  He just sighs and looks at me when we come to a red light.  “That’s how he does hurt you, look what happened because of it, you’re in detention for two weeks.”

                “It’s not so bad,” I lie.  “I finished all my homework and now I get to train.” 

                “Look Kimberley, I know you hate him but if you want to show him he can’t hurt you, just ignore him.  Like you said he’s a jerk.  Just, don’t put your fists into this.”  I cross my arms. 

                “I guess,” I say not knowing what else to say. 

                “Thank you.”  He says.  I turn my head and watch the outside snow fall to the ground. Jason turns on the radio and we listen to one of our favorite songs, Soldier. I can’t say I’m at an edge with Jason but I am still pissed at Logan.  He knows my life is hard, he knows how hard I work in school and at training.  I barley have any friends, well only at home, and my mom is gone and my father is plotting to kill me, but I can’t argue with that excuse, because I’m practically doing the same thing to him.

                When Jason pulls up to a parking spot he turns off the car and we both sit there silently for a second.  Then I pull out the necklace I am wearing.  It is the same one I found five years ago at my house.  I wear it almost every day. It helps motivate me to keep going even when things are tough.  I look at it and say things could always be worse. But I don’t know if they could.