Chapter 6: Ronnie

As I watch as Blake stomp away, angrily, I see James pull him aside and take his arm in a tight grip.  He is whispering to him then punches him in the gut and walks out of the room.  Everyone is dispersing so I decide to follow this maniac and his apprentice.  

                Suddenly someone grabs my arm, “Where are you going?”  I spin to see Kimberley looking at me with her eyes locked on mine.  If I tell her I’m going to find the two freaks she’ll never let me go.  “I uh . . . I’m going to explore some more . . . of the perimeter.”

                “Not without Logan and me you’re not,” she snaps pulling me closer towards her.  I shake my arm away and stare at her with stern eyes.  “I have to go; I need to prove myself as well Kim.”   Her eyes turn from mad to relax, “What is so important you must explore?”

                I look down then over my shoulder, “Something.”  I look back at her with puppy dog eyes, begging her to let me go. She takes a deep breath then exhales, “Fine, but stay safe.  You know where the apartment is right?” I nod.  She hugs me, “Meet back there at one o’clock.”

                She releases me and I smile.  She turns and walks back to Logan.  I take off the other way where James and Blake exited.  I run outside in the cold and look around trying to find out where they could have gone.  Then I look down, their footprints, the only footprints here.  Fresh snow must have covered the other ones that were there before.  I follow them inside the building where we first came in.  I turn to my right and there is an elevator, but I walk a little farther and on the right was a hallway.  At the end I see someone turn.  Blake.  I run towards him and stop when I end up back in the lobby. 

                Suddenly, as I am looking around, I feel weight over take my body and I get pounded to the ground.  I feel the weight let off me a bit and I look over my shoulder.  “Hey, it’s the sister.”  Blake hisses, grinning holding a knife up and holding me down with the other hand. 

                “My, name is Ronnie!” I snarl.  I heave my body up and turn around so I’m now lying on my back.  I try to punch him but he grabs my wrist and pushes it back down. 

                “You’re not as fast as the other one, or stronger.”  He leans in closer to me.  People were starting to watch, but I can end this fight right away.  I get up a mouthful of saliva in my mouth and spit it at his face.  The spit takes him by surprise and he turns his head to one side giving me enough time to settle my feet under is body and push up with all my strength.  He groans and gets off me.  I scramble to my feet and don’t dare get into a fight with him yet. 

                Kimberley may be able to jump into a battle at any time but I can’t.  I’m not strong enough, so I run into the restaurant and try to find a place to hide.  Then I look up and grin.  The ceiling is held up with beams, I can hide there till Blake is gone.  I’m a good climber. I climb trees all the time, but I don’t have a trunk to grab hold of.  Instead I leap onto one of the empty tables and jump again grabbing onto one of the chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.  All of them are made of antlers from elk or dear.  Lights are entwined between them.  I can’t argue, they are beautiful, but very delicate.  Luckily I am so small and skinny I can’t break it.  I grab onto one of the beams and hoist myself onto it.  I realize how far up I am and grab onto one of the wooden pillars connecting the beam to the ceiling.  I look down to see Blake run in whipping my spit off his cheek.  Everyone was doing their own thing like drinking or talking to one another.  Either this happens a lot, or they just don’t care. 

                When he walks under me I hold my breath.  I can let go of the pillar and jump down on top of him, knocking him to the ground.  He turns looking around for me but grunts and stomps his foot in frustration when I am nowhere to be seen.  “Blake!”  He turns, so do I.  It is James who walks over to him angrily.