Chapter 11: Kimberley

Illinois, the sign reads as we pass into the border.  It looks different in daylight than night.  Snow is fresh on the roads as the car driver, Ben, drove onward to our old home. 

                We are all in the back.  It’s like a bus, but cleaner and smells fresher.  The car can hold up to ten or eleven people. There are seats on both sides and an isle down the middle.  Large windows made it possible to see outside.  I watch outside trying to picture the images I saw the night before, nothing looks familiar.  Probably because I wasn’t paying attention last night or I was too distraught to even watch the outside.  I turn back around in my seat and fold my hands in my lap.  Next to me sat Logan and Ronnie who was busy whispering and talking to Saige.  Blake has his arms crossed and his right leg on top of his left. 

                He looks at me with narrowed eyes and a sullen face.  I grin and stretch my hands over my head pointing out my elbows.  “What, you can’t be mad at me forever.”  I say teasingly.

                “What’s the problem?”  Logan says leaning forward, resting his elbows on his knees and folding his hands out in front of him. 

                “Oh, he’s just mad because Kimberley beat him in another match.”  Jason says laughing at the end. 

                “I wasn’t beaten,” he snaps.  He turns to me who is still grinning.  “I let her win.”  He says uncrossing his arms and putting them around his head like I’m doing. 

                “Wow, you’re willing to go that low?”  I say.  “You just can’t admit the fact that I won.”                  

                “No, I can win against you anytime any day.”  He states lifting his chin. 

                “Prove it then, when we get back,” I hold up three fingers, “round three.”  He grins and smirks.  “Deal,” he says.  I shake my head frustrated but smile, because he and I have the same amount of stubbornness in us that the other has.

                “Is it this drive way?”  Logan asks me.  I was so caught up with Blake I didn’t realize how far we have driven.  Logan points to a long drive way that leads back into the woods.  I hesitate for a minute but gulp down my sadness and nod.  I feel Ronnie clutch my arm.  I can tell she is frightened to be back here.  I can’t lie though. I’m terrified.

                Ben turns the car down the drive.  The road is dirt until we reach the real drive way in front, which was paved.  Ben stops the car.  Carson who was in the front with him tells him thank you and to stay here, it won’t take long.  She steps out and opens the back for us and we start to pile out.  Logan gets out and I follow behind him, but stop.  Everything seems so vivid.  Did this all just happen a few nights ago?  Did I really see my mother die in this house?  I feel the tears start to run down my face. 

                “Hey,” Logan turns around and kneels down, rubbing my arm in a soothing gesture.  “Hey, it’s okay, what’s wrong?”

                I don’t want to show Logan I was a little girl but I am scared and don’t want to see my mother lying on the floor and her body rotting.  “I’m scared.”  I confess.  “I’m scared . . . of seeing my . . . my mom’s-“

                “I’m pretty sure the police took care of that last night.”  Logan reassures me.

                “How do you know?”  I ask whipping a tear away from my eye. Logan is silent and looks down.  “They announced it on the TV this morning at seven.”  He looks up again and stands.  “They said the father must’ve taken the girls because they found a note.  In the paper today it measured out exactly what it said, ‘Don’t worry my love, for you are gone, and I shall never forget you, but the girls are safe with me.  I will make sure that our daughters grow up and become healthy, strong and as beautiful as you once were.’”