Chapter 5: Kimberley

As we walk, I think of what it would be like to hate my sister as much as James hates Logan.  No, I could never hate her that much.  Yes we do get in fights but could never hate one another.

                Logan takes us inside the restaurant where men are drinking or eating.  “This is where most of the men and some apprentices spend their time when they’re not training.”  I look around the place with women waiting on the outcasts.  Many are having conversations with each other and putting bear to their lips.  I turn my head to the left where there is a huge window looking out towards the mountain and my eye catches James, sitting with a younger boy.  He looks about one year older than me and very muscular. 

                I tap on Logan’s arm and point to the boy, “Whose James sitting with?”  Logan looks to where I point and his body shifts a little.  “That’s Blake, his apprentice.  I’ve seen them work together.”  He pauses for a moment then looks away, “he’s pretty good.”

                I stare at him for a second before he finally catches my eye and we lock gazes.  His eyes narrow as his upper lip moves up.  He takes a drink of soda and I look away.  I get a strange feeling inside me. Something bad was going to come out between me and him, and I’m going to have to deal with it.

                Logan takes us outside after that.  Snow is falling lightly and the wind is dying down.  I look up to see skiers coming down the mountain face. 

“Shouldn’t they be fighting?”  Ronnie asks.

“No, they’re either (a) not on duty (b) not training to become soldiers or (c) taking a break.  We don’t train 24/7, we have to have one day off every week, or more, that’s the rule.”  Logan explains.  I don’t take my eyes off the mountain as the memories start to flow through me of my first skiing vacation, when I first touched skis, when I was side by side with my father and mother down the ski slopes.

 I suddenly feel the tears rushing down my face and I look away whipping them off but more take the originals places.  I feel Logan touch my shoulder.  I turn my head and look up at him.  “Are you alright?”  He asks.  I look down to see Ronnie starting to cry a little. I bring her close to my chest as we hug for a moment.  Logan allows us to cry.  I can tell he knows what we’re going through.

Once we both put ourselves back together we start to walk again.  My stomach still clenches as we pass the mountain.  Logan pulls open a door and we walk in.  We are in a small, compact room, I feel around for an opening.  Then I see the buttons.  I groan, another elevator.  “How fast does this one go?”  I groan sinking to the ground. 

Logan just grins and pushes a button as the two doors close.  “Hold on.”

The elevator shoots down without warning and my stomach goes into my throat.  When we finally stop I realize we went farther down than usual because my ears are clogged.  The doors open and I could barely stand up.  I felt like I was going to throw up.  I could tell Ronnie felt the same way, but she stood up before me.  I push myself up and sway a little back and forth before I find my balance.  I look around and see computers and machines all around me.  A man was in the corner shuffling up papers.