Chapter 41 | A million dollar necklace

C H A P T E R  4 1
| A  M I L L I O N  D O L L A R  N E C K L A C E |
L A N A

I played with my food.

I hated Charlotte being here. It meant family dinners every night. So mom could show her just how civilised we are.

Charlotte sat opposite me and occasionally glanced at me smiling slightly.

"How was your school up in California?" Mom asked Charlotte.

"It was good, got good grades and atrended a few clubs" Charlotte replied, the lies rolling of her tongue.

That was a lie. Charlotte would never join a club.

"I have to ask though, did you give Lana any fatal punishments?" She asked furrowig her eyebrows in concern.

Oh no. I don't know where's she heading but it's not good. She wouldn't bring anything like this up unless she wanted to bring me down.

"So Charlotte, how's your parents going?" I asked. She glared at me for a second. Probably the wrong topic to start with. Her parents and her are on a rocky slate.

"What do you mean by punishment?" Mom frowned, asked Charlotte.

Charlotte cocked her head to the side pretending to realise that mom doesn't know. "You know, I thought that you'd set some punishments after Lana was arrested"

My head snapped to Charlotte. Emotions flooded back to me. First anger and then hurt. She caused me to get arrested and now she's telling my family. As soon as it was done and the charges were paid I covered it up. Telling mom was my last resort. She's already looked down on me many times. I couldn't add to that list.

Mom glanced at me. I simply looked down at my plate. I tried being angry but I was overwhelmed with shame.

"You don't know?" She asked in a shocked tone. She decided to continue. "When Lana was 15 she was arrested for theft"

"Arrested?" Dad asked in confusion.

My parents looked confused and shocked.

"Charlotte" I warned her only looking at her. I wouldn't dare look at my parents. Knowing they'd be ashamed and angry. I glared at her and pleaded her to shut her mouth. The edge of her mouth tilted up and a glimmer of enjoyment shone in her eyes. She enjoyed me in the spotlight for the wrong reason.

"I assumed you payed for the charges" Charlotte added.

"Charlotte that's enough!" I hissed at her.

She simply sat back and lifted her glass to her mouth as she smiled.

"Is that true?" Mom asked, her tone firm.

"I-" I started.

"Don't lie to me. Is this true?" Her tone was more sharper.

I looked between Charlotte, dad and then mom.

"Yes it's true"

Dad took a sharp intake of air.

Mom tried smiling as she got up. "Excuse me" she hurriedly left.

I stood up and followed her.

"Mom wait" I pleaded her as she stopped in the kitchen and turned around.

"What Lana? Do you wanna say that it's not your fault?"

I felt like I couldn't talk. She'd swept the words right out of my mouth.

"There is an explanation"

She waited for my reply.

"I didn't steal it-" I started.