| five |

We were all crowded in the lounge room again, this time Edward and Bella were with us

We were all crowded in the lounge room again, this time Edward and Bella were with us. Emmett and Jasper were out trying to track the scent. Apparently, Edward had gone over to Bella's house and caught the sent of another vampire in her house. It was worrying for everyone, considering what she had told us about Laurent.

"Who was it? Someone we know?" Carlisle asked. I stood with Esme, her hand gripping mine for comfort.

"A stranger," Edward spoke. "I didn't recognise his scent."

"A nomad passing through?" Esme asked, hoping. I squeezed her hand once again.

"The scent disappeared about five miles south of Bella's," Jasper spoke, walking into the room with Emmett following close behind.

"Someone's orchestrating this," Carlisle said.

"It has to be Victoria," I said.

"I would have seen her decide!" Alice argued.

"Then it has to be the Volturi," Edward said, worry etched all over his features.

"I don't think it's the Volturi either, I've been watching Aro's decisions too," Alice said, looking pointedly at me. I almost felt relief at knowing I wouldn't have to deal with them again for a long time. Assuming we get this Victoria situation under control.

"Until we know we keep looking, we'll also take shifts guarding Bella at her house." Carlisle decided, taking the role of coven leader once again. Usually, he lets us talk things out, but this was a serious situation that he needed to deal with.

"Another protection detail?" Rosalie argued.

"Would you rather her dead?" I snapped, which caused my sister to glare at me.

"She's right," Bella spoke up, surprising us all. "You can't protect me, watch my dad, and track the intruder ... and keep yourselves fed."

"I'm not leaving you here defenceless," Edward argued. "Well, I'm not gonna let you starve!" Bella argued back. "And I wouldn't be unprotected, I have ... " she trailed off.

"What?" Edward asked.

----------

"Working with wolves," I growled at Alice as we stood outside Bella's house together. "My dad would have my head for this," I said, turning to look at the small brunette who watched the area carefully.

"I'm sure your dad wouldn't care." She rolled her eyes.

"He would, he would care a lot!" My complaints were cut off by the smell of wet dog and the approaching footsteps. I activated my power instinct, naturally preparing for one of them to jump out and attack me. Alice went to grab my arm to pull me back but fazed right through, almost as though she was trying to touch a ghost. One of the wolves growled, narrowing his large eyes at me.