𝟏𝟖. 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐆𝐄𝐒

(CHAPTER EIGHTEEN : BURNING BRIDGES)

(CHAPTER EIGHTEEN :
BURNING BRIDGES)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

ALARIC SALTZMAN WAS DEAD. I liked the man, but there was no immediate pang of guilt when my least favourite Salvatore phoned with the news. In fact, my first thoughts were regarding Damon, Elena and Jeremy — no doubt those three would be the most impacted by his death. Although I was terrible with comfort, I armed myself with two large bags of junk food and visited the Gilbert residence. It might have been tactical and selfish of me to opt for the teenagers over my best friend, but I knew Damon could handle himself. He would drink for a week, then move on, whilst I had other priorities. For example, I needed to talk to Elena and Jeremy before Stefan did, which I intended to approach with delicacy given their guardian had died. No matter the unfortunate circumstances, I knew the truth would be better coming from my lips rather than Stefan's.

Before I could even knock, the door swung open to reveal Stefan and Elena, both of which looked disgruntled. Stefan had frown lines that were deeper than usual, prominent like clothes that hadn't been ironed. Elena had the windswept look, flicking a single tear away from the corner of her eye the second I noticed it. "She knows," were the only two meagre words that the man uttered as he brushed shoulders with me, taking his exit.

"You know?" I echoed the vampire's sentiment, the disappointment in my voice not going amiss. He said I had until tonight to tell her and the night was still young, but I didn't have the energy to confront Stefan about the details. "I can explain, Elena. I swear." Immediately, I tried to soften the blow of the news I was — for lack of a better of term — using her baby brother. "Where's Jeremy? I'd rather say it once." I pursued, acknowledging my actions as I gave my undivided attention to the tall brunette in front of me.

"That's just it, you always can explain." She mumbled with a twinge of bitterness, thinking to herself how I managed to talk myself out of every situation. Naturally, my vampire hearing perked up at the snide remark under her breath. "Jeremy's at The Grill — mourning. I'd rather protect him from more heartbreak than necessary and hear your excuses first." Her hand rested on her hip with her face twisted in an expression I recognised well. Although I witnessed the extent of Elena Gilbert's coldness, it was a rarity I was on the receiving end of it.

I pursed my lips, reminding myself that I had to be my nice because she was my friend and was within reason to be angry. "You're right, I'll tell you first." I agreed, levelling with her after a prolonged pause. "May I come in?" I requested.

Elena extended the door, opening it wider to let me enter. "You've already been invited in." She said, her voice monotone.

"I know, I was being polite." I responded with an airy laugh. "But, I am sure that you feel far less inclined to be gracious towards me given what Stefan told you. He only knows what he overheard though, and I intend to tell you the whole truth now. Anything you want to ask." I claimed, holding my head high as I walked down the familiar stretch of corridor. Except, I halted, noticing a photograph that I hadn't seen before — one of Jenna, Alaric, Jeremy and Elena. Fondly, I smiled down at their exaggerated poses.