𝟏𝟎. 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄, 𝐁𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄

(CHAPTER TEN : HOME, BITTERSWEET HOME)

(CHAPTER TEN :
HOME, BITTERSWEET HOME)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

CHESHIRE CAT GRINNING, I found my heart beating at a human rate, an unusual feature for a vampire. Not that I could control it, reading the rectangle that read 'WELCOME TO PORTLAND' had me nervous. Something I would only ever admit in my head. Even if I was a little anxious, it was refreshing to be at peace in my hometown, escaping from the drama or Mystic Falls for once. Moreover, to escape the Mikaelsons.

Honestly, I was drawn home without justification. The Hatton Clan had long since passed, the only relative of mine now being a distant descendant of a second cousin. I knew that because I returned once, a new owner residing in my home. Once I ended my decade long ripper bend, I went to Portland that Summer of 1921. In my mind, I thought speaking with my Mother again would give me an incentive to keep in control and not revert to my previous ways, I needed a reason to value human life again. But, I was left disappointed after discovering she had died. I didn't return to my ripper tendencies, instead I became hallow and abandoned my only friend. In saying that, we did find our way back to each other eventually, during the 1990s to be exact. Damon never did completely forgive me for cutting him out my life because I was mourning the woman that had been nothing except judgemental and controlling to me. Not that he understood. When my Father died and I was distant after discovering Kol's secret, she was all I had.

✧࿐ ཾ✧

PORTLAND, OREGON [1908]

"Charlotte, my dear." She was tall, a little on the lanky side, and unfamiliar, but the stranger knew me enough to kiss each side of my cheek, engulfing me into an airtight hug. "I offer my condolences. He was a good man, that will be his legacy." She insisted, tracing calming circles on my back.

It was his funeral today, Father's. And the service was exclusive, but there were still faces I didn't recognise. All of them were merely bodies clothed in black, brimming with smiles of insincerity. Each one of them were fake, mumbling a half-hearted 'sorry for your loss' whilst drinking whiskey. If any of them really knew him, they would have had enough respect to give him a good service. No matter how much I wanted a private event, Mother told me he would have wanted more than the two of us to lay him to rest. I disagreed.

"You look terrible." Kol breathed, taking long strides to move closer to me. During times like this, his brutality was needed because I was out of touch from reality. I had barricaded myself into my Father's study since his sudden death.

I offered Kol a curt nod, not having the energy to pretend in front of him. Not even with the exceptional circumstances would I speak to him though, I was stubborn and refused to forgive him for hiding his true self from me. Rather childishly, I zip-locked my lips shut.