2

~ Savannah ~

I sit up panting and a slight pain erupts in my back. There's that dream again.

But it wasn't just a dream.

I look down and see dog slobber on my arm.

"Rose." I mumble.

She yawns and stretches, looking at me.

"Why do you have to put doggy drool on my arm?" I whine.

She tilts her head and looks at me as if I'm such a baby about this. Maybe I am.

I throw the covers aside with my good arm and get out of bed slowly.

Rose assists me, and Oak comes along to help me too.

"Thanks guys." I tell my two loyal dogs.

I struggle to get into the wheelchair. Though it's been nine years and I should probably already get the hang of this, it's never easy.

"Good morning, Sav. Breakfast will be ready as soon as you get back from your walk." Mom says, greeting me with a hug.

I nod and head out, with Rose and Oak on both sides of me.

Oak is a Bouvier des Flandres, and an energetic one at that. Being younger than Rose, he bounds off and looks back at us, urging us to move faster.

I look at Rose and we share a look. I don't know how my Labrador and I became good friends, but I'm glad we are.

Rose takes it slow, waiting for me before taking another step.

"I'm sorry you can't run or walk fast." I tell Rose. "Your morning and evening walks are slow paced. You should go after Oak."

Rose shakes her head as if to say 'are you kidding me?!'

I laugh. "Okay, okay. But we better move faster. Oak's getting impatient."

We finally reach Oak, and we continue to move along the boardwalk. Since it's hard to push a wheelchair through the sand, dad and our three other neighbors here on this beach helped make a little boardwalk.

I'm glad that we live on the beach. It makes being stuck at home so much easier.

We 'walk' for a few minutes more then head back. I try to collect more seashells on the way. It's the one thing from my 'past life' that I can still do well.

Rose barks approvingly at one of the new shells I got. Well, the one I pointed to and she dug out.

"Pretty isn't it?"

She barks and I smile.

My two dogs walk on either side of me, guiding me as I push myself back home.

Once we enter through the side door and into the dining room, the smell of pancakes reaches our noses and the dogs bark happily.

Mom chuckles. "Don't worry, you two. I  have some food saved for you."

They bark once again and sit in their places on a rug near the table.

Mom moves the wheelchair to a position across from her.

"What time are they all coming?" I ask.

She pauses to look at her phone. "They'll be here by lunch time."

I nod and after praying, dig into my food.

My dad and older sister work in the city and my older brother goes to college there too, so it's just me and mom here on weekdays. She gave up being a college professor to help with my home schooling and basically stays at home to take care of things.