16. Bittersweet - Part I

AN: HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone!!! I hope this new year i.e., 2018 will bring new blessings for everyone as 2017 year did for me in the form of my beautiful baby-niece. This is for you people. I hope I make justice to every character; every scene and that you won't be disappointed in any form.

**************************************

Zubiya stared at herself as she sat in front of the mirror. Donned up in an olive green-colored sharara with orange-red-pink border and a red dupatta lined with golden tassels over her head she looked like a perfect to-be bride. Well, she is a to-be bride.

Today is her haldi ceremony.

She is finally about to get married to Asfand.

After 5 years.

She really couldn't believe that 5 years have already passed since they had admitted their feelings to each other. She hadn't expected Asfand to have patience for 5 years no less 6 months. She deeply admired Asfand's decision to wait for another couple years till she finished her House Job even though he had finished his course. His maturity even though frustrating at times was heavily required by them to reach this point in their lives.

She sighed heavily as she thought about him. Her soon-to-husband. It brought a huge smile on her face. Just to think that they were finally about to get married and become one made her feel so many feelings. Excitement; Elation; Frustration; Thankful; Peaceful. She didn't think any bride could be more excited and frustrated to get married as her.

Zubiya chuckled softly as she remembered Aunty being adamant and excited to have a small ceremony in their house for their engagement before Asfand left for the U.S. to make their relationship seem more official. Which made her very happy because the sooner she could call herself Asfand's fiancé and wear his ring on her finger she'll be less likely to consider it a dream... and more a reality.

He had been a constant support for her without whom she didn't think she could fight with her demons and come this far in her life today. Her heart panged with ache to even think of the time in which Asfand didn't even exist in her life. It's just.. incomprehensible to think of her life which didn't consist of Asfand.

Even during the days he had spent abroad for his course during their somewhat-courtship ( which is what they termed their relationship during these 5 years as ) they had facetimed each other regularly every night (for her) and morning (for him). He would at times send sweet messages and surprise her with his heart-felt words making her feel either teary or shy with slightly reddened cheeks. No matter how busy he was he would always let her know of his activities. Even though she couldn't put her feelings into words and send it to him, she would always let him know of her own activities tagging along with the line starting with - ' You would've surely... ' letting him know that she missed him and wished that he was here.

Close to her.

Next to her.

With her.

She had cried numerous nights missing his presence tremendously. Specially their long-night talks. Even though they FaceTimed and texted each other everyday.... it wasn't enough. She missed his physical presence. When she would return home after finishing her classes she would expect him to sit beside aunty or uncle having lunch or just simply sitting spending time with them. She would miss their once-in-a-while evening walks in the garden.

But she consoled herself. Because the end result of their struggle would be something really magical. Their union. In every meaning.

Flashback