Popped Open

Katara's POV

Holy crap, holy crap, HOLY CRAP! What just happened?!

Duh, I know what just happened. I had the most amazing kiss in my life, only minutes after breaking up with my boyfriend, and then got caught by the guy's current girlfriend. Dear spirits I'm becoming one of those girls! 

"Hey Katara, is everything ok?" Aang said as I turned the corner and almost knocked him over. Thank you spirits, I could use some advice and Aang never judges. 

"Actually, it could be better." I replied. Aang's face was full of concern and he led me off to the side. We found a bench hidden in the shade and sat down.

"What's wrong?" He asked me.

"Well first off I broke up with Jet -" I started but Aang interrupted. 

"That's great! Uh, what I mean is he was never good enough for you and you deserve better." Aang tried to cover his enthusiasm while a hint of blush appeared on his cheeks. He had a point and I don't get why I never saw it before.

"Thanks Aang." I said with relief.

"But that's not all that's bothering you is it?" He asked as he reached out for my hand. I held so tight I'm surprised he didn't ask me to let go.

"No but if I tell you, you can't tell anyone." I said.

"You have my word." He said. I looked into his eyes and just blurted it out.

"I just kissed Zuko." I finally spoke.

At this, all emotion fell from Aang's face.

"I know, I know it was crazy and so stupid of me! And to make matters worse Mai walked in-"

"You kissed Zuko?" Aang interrupted me in a robot voice. His hand went limp in mine. Maybe I finally cut off his circulation. 

"Um, yeah but the worst part was Mai-" I tried to explain but he interrupted me again.

"You've been with Jet forever and when you finally break up with him, you go and kiss Zuko?!" Slowly, Aang's face changed into one was rage and I have never seen anything but happiness. I just sat there, shocked. "I've been waiting all this time for you to realize Jet was an ass and then you go right into the arms of the biggest ass in school!"

"Aang, what are you talking-" I tried to ask but, again, he interrupted me.

"I love you Katara! That's what I'm talking about." He seemed to deflate, slumped against the wall and just stared at the ground. "I've loved you since the day we met."

I swear my mouth popped open like a fish. Definitely didn't see that one coming . . . but looking back I should have. I just never saw Aang that way. He's always been like a little brother.

"Aang I'm sorry." I replied slowly.

"Don't be sorry Katara. I just need you, to be honest." Aang said. He looked up at me and his eyes seemed filled with sadness. 

"I have always seen you as a brother. It has never been about who you are because you are one of the most amazing people I have ever met. There just hasn't been that spark. You are like family to me." I said. Aang let out a sigh.

"I think I've always known that but I couldn't help but hope." Aang said.

"Someday you will be with a girl that is perfect for you and I will be there to make sure she never hurts you." I said, trying to cheer him up. He gave a small smile and leaned forward for a hug.

"I do love you."

"I love you too Katara."

I'm sorry it has been so long! I'm trying to give you guys a couple more as soon as I can, even hoping to do at least two a day. Please let me know what you guys want to see!

I also want to thank you all for all the love. This story has gotten so much more reads and votes than I ever thought. It is not over because the drama is just starting.

Don't forget to smile at least once a day :)