Chapter 12

She awoke with a jerk, then breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the sun wasn't up yet. She stood, brushing off the loose dirt and leaves that clung to her cloak. After waking Ailen, she gave him the rest of the bread and cheese left over from their previous meal. By the time they had eaten and saddled the horses, the sun was just over halfway above the horizon. They covered ground rapidly until midday. Then, by some misfortune, they stumbled into a swamp. Their speed was reduced to how fast the horses could find the best footing. While these were Irish horses, breed with Ireland's unique terrain in mind, their pace wasn't much faster than a walk. While the delay was frustrating, it gave Rowen much-needed time to think over some of the problems she might face when she arrived.

"I be begging your pardon, me lady. I assure you, this bog wasna here last time I was through this area." She was about to tell him not to bother calling her milady, but stopped before she did. Perhaps the sight of an Irishman showing her the respect due to Lady Maverick might help persuade the Irish to believe her.

"I need to talk to you about some things anyway."

"Ask anything you wish, me lady."

"This Donngal Maverick, the current rule of the Mavericks, how is he related to me? Or is he at all?"

"Well, me lady, he be the son of your father's younger brother, so he be your cousin."

"My uncle, his father, is he still alive?"

"No, me lady." They rode in silence for a bit while the horses picked their way through the marsh.

Then Rowen asked, "Do the people love Donngal? Respect him? Fear him?"

"I be supposing it be a mixture of all three, me lady, but with more fear than love."

"Do I have any more relatives?"

"Well, me lady, I know that Donngal has a sister. I heard his father died, but I canna be sure about his mum. As for your parents, I be afraid I know nothing. If they existed at all, and if they did, whether they be still alive now."

"What is Donngal's sister like?

"I have never seen her, me lady. I hear tell that she be kind to the clans-people, young and old alike. Where the people might have a mixture of love and fear for her brother they only have love for her in their hearts."

"Hmm. I suppose I will find out more when I get there. Ailen, do you think I should use my English accent or my Irish one?"

He thought a moment. "Me lady, your story be more believable if you use your English one. But Irish, especially the Maverick Clan, distrust the English ferociously. If you say they be preparing an army against England perhaps it would be best to sound Irish. Could you mix them?"

She nodded and said with a mixture of the two, "I will do me best." She arranged the words the way the Irish would say them but said them with a hint of her English accent.

Ailen smiled. "I be thinking I will always be astonished out how easily you do that." He paused to clear his throat. "Me lady? I dona wanna seem like I be prying, but when we first met you said something about knowing how to sword-fight. Were you speaking the truth?"

"I was."

"Would you mind lending me a hand and helping me with me fighting? I be afraid it be rather poor." In a flash, her mind recalled to her the countless hours at Great Hall locked in swordplay with William. The sweat darkening his hair to a deep brown. His hazel eyes determined to win. Dear, sweet, precious, Will. Was he still drawing breath? The question hovered at the back of her mind, refusing to be dismissed. But she had to forget. She needed to remain focused. If for one second her attention switched from her task to him she might be killed. She drew a deep breath, trying to regain her concentration for the mission before her.

"Me lady? Would you help me with me sword-fighting?"

"Oh, I dona know. I dona think we have enough time."

"But surely you can give me advice."

"But I dona know what you need help with."

He threw his head back and laughed. "I be sure that anything you tell me will help."

She shifted in her saddle, thinking. "Well, when you sword-fight someone many people think that you should analyze the person who you be fighting. But I be thinking that be the wrong thing to do. Too often a person assumes something that is wrong. This mistake could easily led to death. But dona misunderstand me, dona go into a fight with your eyes shut. When you enter a fight look at the terrain you be fighting on. Is there a place that has an advantage? Can you get there without endangering your life? Clothing be also something you should look at. They may be wearing clothes that restrict certain movements, know what those movements be. Especially take note what they be wearing on their feet. Again, the conclusions you draw from these observations may be deceptive. The way I was taught was that you couldna rely on that information but you could use it."

"I dona understand."

"Let me see. Well, dona risk your life on your assumptions. For example, if you be thinking that a person's boot might slip on some rock, dona do a move that, while finding out if the person will fall, might endanger your safety. Instead, be patient. Use multiple moves to make your opponent do what you want. Is it clear now?"

"Aye, but what else is there?"

"Another important thing be the way they carry their sword. Be it heavy and awkward in their hand? Or do they handle it with grace and skill? An expert swordsman can master making their sword look clumsy in their hands. Never underestimate someone. Better to overestimate and fix your mistake then underestimate and never live to correct your fault. When you sword-fight watch your opponent's eyes. The way they look may give you a hint of what their next move might be. But be careful you dona be giving them any hints about what you plan to do. Make sure you dona go out of your circle of control. I mean, dona use a move that puts you off-balance. Whether you reach too far with your sword or your feet dona give you a solid foundation to fight from. You have to be balanced." Rowen paused, trying to think of anything else. "Practice and you will learn more than anything I can ever tell you. Practice with your friends or with imaginary foes. Think of a move and come up with one that you would do to counter it. Train your eyes to learn how to analyze a person or place within a few seconds. That be all I can think of now."

"Me lady, I see you have a bow, do you have any advice about shooting?" She glanced down at her bow that was strapped behind the saddle. It reminded her of Will. He had always been a better shot than her no matter how many times he had helped her with it. Focus, Rowen.

She cleared her thoughts."Aye, I do. But many of the things you have to be remembering about sword-fighting be true about archery. You have to be observant. Make sure you be keeping your bow in good condition. The string has to be kept well-oiled. Your limbs be the most important; see when they be getting weaker. Not only will a bad bow spoil your accuracy, but it might break while you are using it. In archery, accuracy is everything. All else is useless if you canna hit were you be aiming. Keep your bow unstrung. The constant tension on the limbs will weaken the wood. Every time you draw back to shoot, anchor at the same spot. When I shoot, I rest my thumb on the end of my cheekbone. It varies from person to person and from bow to bow, so you have to find out what works for you." She stopped unable to recall any more information to tell him.

"I dona understand. How be you so knowledgeable about such things?" Rowen tried to find a response that wouldn't prick his curiosity even more.

"I was raised among many sword-fighters and archers."

"Where?"

"England, of course."

"What I mean, oh, never mind."