Chapter 3

When the time came for Rowen to give a decision it was a yes. All the Apprentices continued their training. It was an exhausting time. From sunup to sundown, they were constantly fine-tuning old tricks or learning new things. To her delight, Rowen found that she was the best at something; moving unheard.

Edward explained it by saying, "It is because you are so small compared to the thundering herd that you have beside you." Rowen too, learned that the atmosphere around the spies was friendly. In a short time William, Richard, Henry, John and her were all close friends. After the initial snub by William at the door, she was never teased about being a girl again. But it was hard being the only girl. Some of the older spies had wives that sometimes watched the training. Edward had many maids to keep Great Hall running. But still, there was no one to confide to about problems she had. And there was William. Every moment around him made her feel like she had no control of her usual graceful body. One day, she was done. Tired of always trying to be smart, funny, graceful, elegant, strong and confident all at the same time, she made a conscious effort to rid him from her mind and threw herself wholeheartedly into her training.

And so a year passed. Both Richard and John decided spying were not for them and went their separate ways. But one day the remaining three Apprentices climbed up a winding staircase to a tower in Great Hall. At the top, they were met by Edward.

"Friends, you have come far. You have proven by your dedication and hard work that you have the ability to be a spy. I commend you for your effort in reaching this point. But now what? Today, you shall swear the Oath to our king. King Henry. The Oath promises that you shall protect England's secrets. But not only protect but to find out where others loyalties lie. You shall be bound by this promise to honor your king by swearing fealty to him. Do you all understand what I am asking of you?" A solemn silence filled the room as three heads nodded.

 "Very well. Listen closely as I read to you this document:

I, being trained and evaluated for the course of one year, commit to being a spy until the king sees fit to end my work. I understand the severity of this commitment, if I break it, let me die. I shall remain loyal to his majesty, King Henry. If I compromise the security of the forenamed sovereign or the security of this beloved land, England, let me die. In the complete knowledge of what I am doing, I sign this document, in the presence of witnesses. May they and God hold me to this promise."

Edward cleared his throat and handed them each a copy of what he had just read. With a shaking hand, Rowen grasped the quill offered her. The line of the R wobbled but, after taking a deep breath, the rest followed perfectly. It was not normal for a girl to know how to read and write, but, Elizabeth, knowing that her life as a spy would require it, had paid a tutor to teach her. She blew on the ink, then handed the quill and paper back to her teacher. She was a spy. No longer an Apprentice, but a Beginner, the first step on her climb to becoming a Master.

Two years later, on her fifteenth birthday, she received a horse. A sign that soon she would be asked to complete missions. Her mission did come soon. She was to be disguised as a maid and go to Ireland. There had been reports that a troublemaker is agitating the crowds, using the thrilling victory over the Vikings at Clontarf as his rallying point. Rumors say that an army has begun to amass to threaten England.

"I do not understand. The Clontarf victory was almost a hundred years ago. Why now?" Rowen asked Edward.

"Well, I am glad that you can remember some of Ireland's history. Yes, the battle of Clontarf was a long time ago, ninety-eight years to be precise. The fact that it is almost hundred years ago is precisely why we are worried."

"Still, I do not catch your meaning. Please, explain."

"As far as we know, someone is claiming to be Brian Mac Boru."

"How absurd! He died at Clontarf, there is no doubt of that!"

"There is doubt, apparently. This Irish hero could not have possibly lived for over a hundred years but some say that the spirit of Boru is on this man. That, just as Brian defeated the Vikings, so now he shall defeat the English."

"Sounds rather proud to me."

"Well, we really do not know if there is any truth in this tale. That is why you are going."

Rowen nodded. "I see."

"Also," he paused. "William is going with you."

"William?"

"Yes."

"But why?"

"He, too, has a mission in the Emerald Isle as the Irish call it."

"Emerald Isle? I thought they named their homeland Eire in their language?"

"Rowen, you might find that some things you find quite familiar have foreign names."

"Perhaps. But about William. Edward, tell me you are not just sending him to protect me. I can handle anything on my own."

"I know you can. William shall simply accompany you to Ireland, there you shall go your separate ways. He is headed to Tyrconnell in the north."

"Tir Chonaill?"

"Very good. Your Gaelic, as always, is superb. Now, give me an Irish accent."

Using all the little lilts that she had practiced for so many days she said, "Why, sir, Irish be me native tongue!"

"Excellent, be on your way, Rowen." They boarded a boat and were soon on their way. Rowen was disguised as a maid and William as a merchant.

After sailing for three hours in silence, William said, "Do you have your daggers?"

"Of course, why?"

"Rowen, you should speak with an Irish accent, to practice."

Rowen sighed but complied by adding the accent to her words. "If you like, then, but just to suit your fancy."

"It is not something of which to make fun. If someone realizes you are only pretending to be Irish, they might kill you.

"Breathe easy, me friend. I did not think you would take me joking so seriously."

"Our lives are at stake. I do not think we should laugh at that."

"Well, now, I suppose you might be right. But I be thinking it takes both. A lil' seriousness, and a lil' laughter."

"Perhaps. Only, oh, do be careful, Rowen."

"Dona be fretting your lil' head about me."

William threw her a grin. "I believe the saying is pretty little head."

Rowen threw up her hands, biting back laughter. "Sakes, boy! When did you become so vain! And why must I be the only one to speak like an Irishman?"

"Because I am disguised as an English merchant." As they were still talking the boat reach Ireland with a thump. Rowen swallowed. Her light-hearted banter with William had only been to settle her nerves. She was as nervous as a high-strung horse that was being saddled for the first time. Her palms became sweaty and she rubbed them down the front of her skirt to dry them.

William noticed her change in mood. "Are you alright?"

"Course I am!" She added with her normal voice, "I am fine, Will."

"Well, then shall we unload the horses?" Rowen nodded agreement and the two soon brought the horses to land. Much to their relief, the horses had taken the voyage well and were fit to ride the next day.