Menacingly

Spencer POV

Toby had taken me out to celebrate our engagement and surprised me by announcing it to the paparazzi. They hadn't waited for the next day to come. They day they had found out, they had written an article and published the paper. Other girls now glared at me and spread childish rumors that sometimes upset me but I kept the feeling to myself.

Toby sneaks up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist, lingering his lips close to my ear. "Toby I'm trying to get dressed." I frowned. He moved my hair out of the way, zipping up the back of my dress as well as placing a kiss on the back of my neck. I struggled keeping my eyes open when he kissed my neck. My breathing stopped the moment his actions did, leaving me breathless. "It's just a Christmas Eve party, we don't have to go back." he murmured. I rolled my eyes,"Did you forget that your the one hosting the party?" I turned around and combed my fingers through my hair to cover my neck, positive that he'd left a mark. "Let's get it over with." he told me. I nodded and finally we emerged from our room, walking down stairs to join the rest of the guest.

Toby led me through the crowd, every now and then taking time to greet his most important guest. The most important guest by far had been Mona Vanderwal. I didn't understand how she had become most important due to her ups and downs over the years but her company was now second. It didn't surprise me when I'd heard on the news about her passing up Jason, Jason was never prepared to take on the role as CEO. A bartender held out a tray of wine in front of us and Toby leaned closer so that I could hear over the music,"The bronze ones are apple cider, the pink ones are Pink Moscato."

He grabbed a glass of apple cider and handed it to me before taking a glass of his own. The bartender returned behind the bar and began taking orders from the guest that was seated. A hint of blonde caught my eyes as I looked away and I turned to see the inseparable Jenna and Sara toasting. "Those two still creep me out." I mumbled to myself. We made our way through everyone and finally made it outside where there was a poster hung on every wall.

Of course, Toby had the biggest one and underneath was the first newspaper ever written about him entitled: Toby Cavanaugh CEO of Cavanaugh Corp? It then goes into the story explaining how he had brought the Company to be the biggest in the hotel industries. Honestly, it hadn't been until I came across this poster that I realized I knew nothing about Toby's job and what he did. My father was CEO for many things but he became famous for the products they'd invented or bought.

"Earth to Spencer," Toby waved his hand in front of my face until I registered what was happening. I looked at him apologetically. "You look a little discomposed." "I'm fine there's just a lot of people." I lied. Guilt build up inside of me soon afterwards, it wasn't like I was trying to lie to him it just happened to slip out before I had time to think. He seemed convinced so he carried on through the crowd keeping me close by. I seen Emily sitting on a chair laughing along with a beautiful girl with long wavy blonde hair and I was positive that it was Sabrina so I made no attempt to interrupt.

"Dance with me." Toby said suddenly. I gulped,"I've never danced before." it was another lie but I knew he could tell, he was the expert of our childhood. I had always wanted to take ballet back then. "We both know that's not true." he chuckled bringing my arms up to wrap around his neck before placing them on my waist, reeling me in closer of him. We rocked from side to side to silent night that had been played instrumental. He hummed the song softly and I leaned my head down onto his shoulder where I could here perfectly.

"Your more tense than usual." he mentioned, angling his head to where I was now comfortably buried in the crook of his neck. I took in a deep breath and hid my face in the crook of his neck when a few flashes had went off. When the song ended I looked up at Toby and he smiled, his contagious smile. I yawn broke free from me. The party has been going on for three hours and there was one more to go, when the clock finally strikes twelve in the morning.

"Are you sure you don't want me to end the party now?" Toby asked me. "Even with your change of attire I can still smell the alcohol on you." his eyes flashed with anger. I could tell he was replaying the event that took place earlier with one of his followers. After seeing the ring in person she didn't take it too lightly and threw her drink all over my dress. I nodded,"It's almost over and I didn't want to shower now especially when I'm being glared at for the remainder of this night." I cocked my head in the direction of a group of girls and they all looked away as if we had never made eye contact.

All of the sudden body guards came out of no where and began pulling them towards the exit. I looked at Toby just in time to see him putting his phone into his pocket. "I don't know how they're getting in here."
I took a sip of my drink which I'd almost forgotten about. "I've gotten use to the stares but I wish it would all stop," I admitted. "Some people stare at me like I'm a broken piece of glass and others glare."

"It won't be like that forever-" on cue he was interrupted by a giant camera being shoved in front of me. "What happened in the dollhouse?" the guy asked, fighting to get out of the guards grasp. One guard had lost hold of the man and the camera had resulted in busting my bottom lip blocking out Toby's actions. I held a hand over my mouth in pain just thinking how bad this day could possibly get. Making my way to the bathroom Aria had ended up tagging along with me. I removed my hand showing the noticeable blood through the red lipstick paired with a bloody nose as well.

My nose bleeding hadn't made any sense. There was no physical pain to it and it felt untouched. "Use this." Aria said. She handed me a cotton swap to place on my lip before taking care of the bloody nose. I thanked her after I had removed the lipstick. There was a cut on my lip thankfully it wasn't to the point where I needed to get stitches. "Ezra's going to stop Toby before he does something he'll regret. . . I'm positive that the party is over."
"First it wad the drink, then the stares, now this-"
"Don't worry about it."

I tilted my head back, wiping my nose dry. Of course I was aware that there was nothing to worry about but this was ridiculous. How could they freely ask these questions without putting themselves in my position first. Once I was cleaned up I had took another stairway to avoid the crowd and went into Kayden's room where Noel was standing over the crib. "I can take it from here, thank you." Noel backed away from the crib and murmured,"your welcome." I closed the door and pulled Kayden out of his crib so he'd sleep faster. It didn't seem like that was happening but I sat in the rocking chair anyways.

"It's almost midnight Kayd, you have to go to bed." I told him. He lifted his hand and I grabbed it softly. His grip was soft but firm at the same time, I smiled at his cuteness. His grip soon loosened as he fell to sleep after some time. I placed him inside of his crib and tucked him in.

When I entered the room Toby was laying on the bed with an arm draped over his face giving a perfect display of his Calvin underwear. I walked into the closet and took of my dress. Much like earlier Toby managed to sneak up behind me, pulling me back into his chest. "I'm okay." I looked back at him assuring him that it was true. His gaze drooled down to my lip then back up to my eyes. I took the clip out of my hair loving the feeling of it falling down and breathing in the air. "Christmas is in about two minutes so lets get some sleep." he smiled genuinely, purposely changing the subject. I looked at the mess I had on the closet floor and my attire. "I need to get dressed first."

"This is fine."

I gasped when his hand stroked up and and down my sides, softly lingering over my soft skin causing a shiver to erupt. "I have to ask. . . why are you so tense all of the sudden?"
"Today didn't exactly go as planned and then I saw the poster about your business and realized that I hardly know anything about you." I tried turning around but he held a tight grip on me. "That article is from several years ago I've changed and this person I've become no one knows as much as you do because you've made me into who I am today." he loosened his grip allowing me to turn around. I cupped his cheek,"You always seem to have a way with words."

From this point on it seemed as if everything had just fast forwarded before my eyes and I could finally enjoy what was right in front of me.