Tension

The room was quiet when I approached her from behind, she turned around as she heard movement behind her and froze. I stopped and just stared at her my arms crossed.

"Apparently we have a few things we need to discuss." I stated.

"You and I have nothing to talk about." Hermione lied.

I watched as Hermione turned her back on me and stared at the door for a few seconds before I heard what sounded like a stifled sob. Before I could speak she took off upstairs mumbling about getting changed. I heard the door close and decided I might as well too.  I headed upstairs to undress and change out of my clothes and into my pajamas'.

The clock struck nine and I thought I might go and say goodnight to Hermione. Heading across the hall I opened the door. Hermione lay on her bed in her dinner dress, hot tears trailed a path down her red cheeks.

Hermione let out a deep sigh before she quickly wiped her eyes. "What do you want?" she asked in a small voice.

"Have you been crying?" I asked pointedly.

"Of course not, they are just allergies," she replied. "What do you want?" she then asked again.

"May I come in?" I asked from the doorway. Hermione shrugged her shoulders. She didn't deny me access so I took that as a yes.I stepped in and shut the door. I moved to stand at the side of her bed. "So I caught your parents conversation" I said casually

"So..."

 I cocked my head to the side and regarded her for a long moment. "I heard the way you answered your parents questions at the table. You spoke as if you didn't want them to know you were satisfied with living in this world."

Hermione gritted her teeth. "I don't understand why you care anyways. You should be happy because your life isn't complicated" she said bitterly.

I moved to crouch in front of her. "How is your life complicated?"

She shook her head. "That should be obvious, my life is split between two completely different worlds. I have to do what is best for both worlds."

I brought my hand to my forehead in confusion. "You are going to college aren't you?"

Hermione nodded her head. "I just need to know my life will be fine if I decide this is too much for me?"

"What do you mean? Do you think I am going to leave you?"

"You were always unattainable to me, and that made me want you all the more. I love you but I can't hold a candle to you. I need to-" she began

"-You need to do what?" I interrupted. "You shouldn't need to do anything but be happy with me. You are supposed to marry me." I snapped.

Hermione stared hard at him. "Don't do that!" she yelled as she stood and nearly pushed me to the floor .

"Do what?" I  asked standing.

"Don't manipulate me into thinking that you love me, or that you felt something for me." she cried.

I took her hand and placed it over my heart. "Do you feel that? It's how my heart gets everytime I think of you."

Hermione wrenched her hand out of my grip and put some distance between us. I had no idea where all this was coming from. It just sounded like she was trying to make excuses to why she shouldn't be with me. I mean I loved her and she loved me, or atleast I thought she did. Did I miss something?

I merely stared at her. "Where is all this nonsense coming from?"

"What?"

"This bullshit you are spewing me. You were perfectly happy with the idea of us until your parents made that comment at dinner. Are you doing this to please them?"

Despite her anger she knew he was right at his accusations. "Don't bring my parents into this, they have nothing to do with this." she lied.

"They have everything to do with this. You don't want to go to college, if you did you would have mentioned that to me and you never liked the idea of being a doctor you told me this in our third year."

She scoffed. "In case you didn't realize it, there are several types of doctors. Plus I probably just forgot to mention college."  Hermione told him seriously. "I love learning and I would do anything to continue"

I just smirked. "I may not be as clever or smart as you Hermione but I know that you are not a good liar."

Hermione bit her lip "Get out of my room" she said in a soft tone.

I sighed. "Just remember when you disect this situation that you have no one to blame but yourself." Grabbing the back of my head I stared at her before I turned and headed towards the door.

"We'll see about that," she said acidly.

I stopped and turned so that our eyes could meet. "The question is, my dear,do you care enough about yourself to want to be truly happy or will you only live to please others." Her brown eyes met my grey, both equally filled with intense, turbulent emotions. "Know that I have lived miserably because I chose to build myself into the person I knew my parents wanted me to be. I have wanted to be with you for a very long time. To hold you in my arms and tell those against it that I loved you without caring how they felt only because I was truly happy, that was the best gift I had ever given myself and let my just say I deserved it" I paused and let my words sink in as we stared at each other. "Sleep well" I added gently before leaving the room.

Hermione stood there for a long moment, wondering what had just happened. She refused to believe that Malfoy was in love with her or that she herself felt anything for him. Hermione scowled to herself and tried to rid her mind of the image of his pale grey eyes, so open and… Honest was the wrong word. Clear? Maybe.

She scoffed. Stupid Malfoy. Stupid for making me fall in love with him, stupid for loving me. Stupid because there was so much to decide. He was right, she didn't want this but she also didn't want her parents disappointement on her shoulders. She had never disappointed her parents before and didn't want to start. Now she had to decide which would cause more pain, leaving the love of her life or disappointing her parents.