(Edited) Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

Scarlett

"So students, how far have you come with your project may I ask?" Our teacher asks. Everybody instantly looks confused. Which project is she talking about? "Why do you all look so confused? I hope you haven't forgotten about that project I assigned you all which would be taking up around thirty percent of this semester's marks?"

That's when it clicked. The project—the dance project—salsa.

With Aiden

Oh my god.

"It's due in a month. I want all of you to submit it. And those of you who have to perform something will do so in the school; we'll all be going to the auditorium for that."

Oh crap, I am so done. It's the end, kill me now. How am I supposed to rehearse with Aiden if we're not talking? This is insane, this is...dead, I am so dead.

Yup, you heard it right. Aiden and I? We're not on speaking terms.

It was my decision actually. After what happened at the game, I decided that staying away from Aiden was the right choice. Because who am I kidding? It's too late to curb my feelings for him. I can't be friends with him and secretly torture myself. This is the best way—distancing myself from him until my feelings slowly fade away.

That doesn't mean it's easy; far from it actually. But I'm trying.

The first day had been the worst. I'd been sitting myself, the class was about to begin. I'd purposely decided to sit directly in front of the teacher's desk, knowing it will be the last place Aiden would decide to sit at. But I was proved wrong when Aiden strolled in three minutes later and plopped down next to me. All the seats were taken by then.

He'd looked at me and I'd already guessed what he was going to do next. I could already see his lips forming a smile, and him about to utter his usual greeting. But I turned away, before he could do that. I didn't want to feel it—those butterflies in my stomach when he smiled. I didn't want to like him. I just wanted to forget about all this. And so, I'd looked away. But I'd glanced at him again. My heart had almost broken in two when I'd seen the hurt and slightly confused expression etched across his face.

That was just the start. For the rest of the period, I'd pretended to be absorbed reading Shakespeare and listening to the teacher explain about his works. I'd told Aiden to not talk whenever he tried to, saying I wanted to focus during class. I'd not even laughed when he had whispered silly jokes to me. I wanted to. Hell, I was dying to laugh and talk to him and be like I always was with him, but I couldn't. I needed to control myself. It was the only way to forget what I felt. I needed to build a wall around me and not let him in. By the time the bell had rung forty minutes later, I'd exited the class in a rush, like even being next to him for another minute would kill me.

Aiden didn't need to be a genius to figure out I was giving him the silent treatment. After all, I'd ignored all his texts and calls after the match, and had started avoiding him in school too. Eventually, he stopped trying, and left me alone. I should have felt relieved. After all, this is what I'd wanted, right? Except I didn't. It felt wrong, being so far away from him. Seeing him but not talking to him. It was torturous. I wanted to be near him, touch him, talk to him; be the reason of his smile. I didn't want to watch it from afar. It's been two weeks since we stopped talking, and it hasn't gotten easier.

My eyes flicker towards Aiden, only to see him looking right back at me. My heart skips a beat when our eyes meet, and I quickly look away. Things are so weird between us right now, and I'm supposed to dance with him?! How do I do that?