(Edited) Chapter 11 Part I

Chapter Eleven

Scarlett

"-and then she walked away." I finish telling Susan what happened today with Hailey. She gasps on the other side of the line.

"Oh my god! I can't believe that bitch-"

"But Hailey's right. Aiden is her boyfriend. I'm just his...friend. She might have been a little rude but it still doesn't change the fact that she was right," I murmur.

"So?! It doesn't give her the right to act like a bitch. It's not like you have been throwing yourself at him. You're his best friend. She needs to suck it up instead of being so insecure."

I stay silent, not knowing what to say.

"Wait, you're not really considering what she said, right? You're not going to push Aiden away, right?"

"I don't know..."

"Shut up! Let Aiden decide who he wants to be with. You don't have to distance yourself from him, okay?"

"I guess..."

"Now what I would like to know is why didn't you say anything in return?" Susan demands.

"Well, it was so sudden--one second we were touching up our makeup, and then the very next second she exploded like a bomb. I just didn't know what to say."

"You didn't know what to say? Are you kidding me?! You knew exactly what to say. You just had to tell her to get lost. But you didn't. Know why? I know why. When the hell are you going to learn to stand up for yourself?" Susan cries out, sounding angry beyond words.

I stifle a groan. I hate when Susan lectures me. But I know she's right. I need to stop letting people stomp all over me. But I've never liked confrontations. Maybe that makes me a coward, but it's true. 

"I just...I was taken off guard, okay? That's why I didn't say anything. I'll stand up for myself next time, I promise." 

"Anyway, I called you because I wanted to tell you about this Carnival taking place near Feather Street. Everyone's going, you should too. It's going to be awesome! Maybe you should consider inviting Aiden," Susan suggests.

"Whoa, no way! Are you crazy? He'll think I'm asking him out! Besides, I don't know if I should. Especially after this episode with Hailey..."

"That's all the more reason for you to ask him! Show that bitch that she can't come between you two. No matter what, you both are still friends."

"I don't know...I'll think about it, okay? When is this carnival though?"

"This Sunday! I think we should come around at five or something, and leave by nine. I really want you to come. It's been a while since we've met anyway."

We talk on the phone for another couple of minutes, before Susan hangs up. As I cut the call, I think about her proposition. I decide to ask Aiden to go to the carnival with me.

I take out my phone and quickly send him a text--'hey'.

After two very long minutes, he replies.

Aiden Walkers: Hey

I don't reply back immediately, since I don't want to seem desperate.

Scarlett: Whatchu doing?

Aiden Walkers: Just talking to Hailey ;)

I feel annoyance bubble up inside me. Why the hell does he always has to bring her up?