(Edited) Chapter 15

15

Scarlett

"No! Oh my god, are you insane? Don't go in there!" I point my finger at the screen as I shout. A couple of people sitting nearby glare at me, annoyance clear on their face. I ignore them, and continue to shout, this time in a whisper. "Don't go in there you will die!"

Aiden laughs beside me. "Scarlett, it's just a movie. Chill!"

"I hate the fact that most of the people in horror movies are dumb. Like if they even had an ounce of brain, they would actually survive," I mutter.

Aiden wraps his arms around my shoulder. "Don't worry, next time we'll go for a film that has smarter characters," he assures me.

Next time? There's going to be a next time?

I smile to myself yet again.

I focus onto the movie again. I dig my hands inside the popcorn box and feel Aiden's hands in their too. I feel our fingers brush together. He intertwines his fingers into mine, inside the popcorn box. I'm momentarily surprised. I didn't see that coming. I glance at him and see his eyes are glued onto the screen. A hint of a smirk is visible on his face.

Oh he loves riling me up, doesn't he? Well two can play the game.

A few seconds later, Aiden drops my hand and grabs the straw of the extra-large cola we brought, sipping the cola in. Taking the chance, I bend down to sip from the other straw. Aiden stiffens as I lean in close. Our lips are so awfully close. I slurp the cola slowly and then remove the straw from my lips. I lick my lips before moving away.

I notice his eyes are glued onto my lips instead of the screen now; mission accomplished.

It's my turn to smirk.

Aiden doesn't give any sort of response. Instead, he turns back to look at the screen. We don't talk for the rest of the movie, it's all very quiet. It's not like I don't want to talk, he just seems far-off in his own thoughts, distant. I wonder if it's because of the little teasing I did a while back. Did I go a little overboard?

By the time the clock shows half past nine, we've finished watching the movie and are heading out to the beach. Aiden hasn't uttered a single syllable since I did that little teasing. "So...um...wasn't the movie great?" I try to strike a conversation.

He glances at me and then looks away. "Yeah, it was," he mumbles unenthusiastically.

I frown. What is wrong with him?

I slowly wrap my arms around his back. "Hey, it's okay if you're missing Hailey. I know I'm not a very entertaining companion—"

"No, I'm not missing her Scarlett. If you must know, I'm enjoying myself."

"Well in that case, let's head to the beach. I still have that ice-cream treat to give. Or would you rather pass?"

Please don't leave yet, please don't go.

"Ice cream sounds good," he passes me a small smile, causing butterflies to swarm in my belly again. I smile right back at him, relieved he isn't leaving yet.

But why was he being so moody earlier?

This time I'm able to mount his motorcycle without his help, but I refrain from wrapping my arms around his torso, and let them fall limply beside me as I secure my legs tightly around the vehicle. I put the helmet on top of my head. Aiden mounts the motorcycle but doesn't start it. Instead, he turns around to look at me, passing me a pointed look.