Chapter 20: What is this Halloween Dance you speak of?

Chapter 20

“Get ready.” Jessie demanded, storming into my room. I stared at her for a minute. I was working on a project for school that was due Monday, I’d been working on it all week and I planned to finish it tomorrow while Jessie was at the dance and couldn’t annoy me, or this weekend. It seems like Jessie has other plans.

“For what?” I asked her and she gave me an annoyed look. She grabbed my text books and literally slammed them onto the floor.

“We’re going shopping for tomorrow.” She said, placing a hand on her hip. Why was I friends with this girl?

“For what?” I repeated and she sighed loudly, stomping her feet.

“I’ve been talking about it all week! It’s the Halloween dance! You kept putting off the shopping trip so all of the good dresses are going to be gone!” She exclaimed, nearly grabbing my shoulders and shaking me to death. I gave her an annoyed look.

“I’m not going to that dance.” I stated, picking up my textbooks. I held them in my hand and she grabbed them, keeping them in her grip this time.

“Yes, you are. This is the only thing that your parents will allow you to go to because it is held by the school. Why not enjoy it?” She asked and I rolled my eyes, shaking my head.

“I don’t want to go.” I rephrased and she glared at me before she sat on my bed.

“Come on, please? They’re going to have candy.” She persuaded.

I weighed my options; stay at home and study, like the good girl my parents want me to be or go to a school dance where most of the girls will be wearing the stupidest outfits that Jessie and I could make fun of, there’s candy, and there’s not going to be any drunken people there. I furrowed my eyebrows before sighing.

“Fine, but you can forget about the whole costume thing.” I replied and she glared at me before sighing, with a nod.

“Okay. So what are you going to be wearing?” She asked, raising an eyebrow. I stood up, grabbing my purse and turning to her.

“I don’t know, let’s get shopping.” I replied. If I was being honest, I was sick of rereading that play and analyzing it. So why not go out and get some shopping done?

__

“I think this is cute.” She said, holding out a dress that was imitating a vampire. It had blood covering the neckline of it and it was sleeveless. The dress itself was white with fake bloodstains on it.

“It’s cute.” I nodded as she entered the dressing room excitedly. She already put two ‘cute’ dresses back because they weren’t long enough.

“I think this is the dress.” She called from the dressing room. A few seconds later, she opened the door and twirled for a second before I nodded.

“It’s adorable.” I replied and she grinned. She entered the dressing room and exited a few minutes later, the dress in her hand.

“Now for you.” She stated and I rubbed my temples. I already felt the headache coming on.

Instead of getting a costume dress, I decided on a plain black dress. It had an orange belt, so it was somewhat Halloween like. It’s the colors of Halloween! Unlike what I’d expected, Jessie nodded in agreement once I exited the dressing room. I decided I was going to buy it.

Thinking the day was over and that I could go home, work on the project with a clear mine and go to sleep; Jessie decided to trick me and brought me to a shoe store. I glared at her while she smiled innocently. Long story short, she got red high heels and I got orange flats. She denied my requests of Vans or Converses.