Chapter 13: Sneaking In (E)

Chapter 13

Isn’t this just great? I have to choose between the boy who's a jerk and just so happens to be my neighbor and the popular player who is actually kind. Most girls would love to be in my shoes; they’d even jump for joy at the thought of living next door to Adrian and, according to Jessie, have the popular boy have a crush on you.

Why would Jessie ask this? She’s asked me this question before and I’d always managed to get out of it. This was unnecessary and uncalled for. She’s supposed to be my best friend, the person who keeps my secrets!

Do you know that feeling you have when you’re asked a personal question and you know the answer to it but you don’t want to say it because you’ll be judged majorly on it? That’s the feeling I have right now. Everyone’s eyes were on me and I debated on dolphin diving into the fire.

Avoiding all eye contact, I pulled out my phone and let out a low whistle.

“Would you look at the time? It’s getting late and I should get home. I mean, it’s a pretty far walk.” I stood up. 

“Answer the question first.” Jessie said, frowning. Instead, I glared at her.

“No.” I replied hastily before running towards the small dock. It was out of sight from the bonfire, thankfully.

When I arrived, I didn’t know what I was waiting for. Maybe it was for me to clear my head, or maybe it was for Jessie to come running over with a heartfelt apology pouring out of her mouth. Maybe I was waiting for anyone to come over and talk to me. Anyone at all. I wished I hadn’t come to this party.

I lay down on the deck at place my hands over my face. I just want to go home. Can I click my shoes together and magically appear in my room, on my bed? It was 1 already and I needed to be home in the matter of an hour. I don’t know how I’m going to get home. After Easton and I had that fight, I don’t know if I’m getting a ride home from him or whether I have to ask around.

I had the feeling that I was being watched and it was proven correct when I felt the little dock shaking. I darted up immediately, getting slightly dizzy at the quick motion but I realized that it was Easton. 

“Come here to drown me?” I asked, raising a suspicious eyebrow. He glared at me for a second before he sighed and sat down beside me.

“What happened back there?” He questioned, pointing back towards the bonfire. I shrugged.

“Jessie put me on the spot and I didn’t want to be placed there.” I shrugged again, staring at my nails.

“So you ran away?” He asked, sounding amused. I glared at him before nodding and shrugging.

“Why not?” I asked, sitting with my back against the wooden bars.  

“Well, did you have an answer?” He asked me. I nodded a little while shrugging. I shrug a lot.

“Why didn’t you say it?” He questioned. I burst out laughing while shaking my head. Why would I say it?

“It’s a stupid question,” I responded, crossing my legs, Indian style. “Besides, Jessie had no right to ask me that in front of all those people.” I said scowling. I then realized how short my shorts were and I quickly uncrossed my legs

“I’m pretty sure I know the answer.” He said, smirking slightly. I rolled my eyes.

“Who is it?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. I was honestly curious on who he thought it was. His ego could get in the way and he could say it’s himself or he could drive me even more insane and say ‘Ethan.’