Chapter 32--Returning Home

Entering the train now with Peeta holding your hand and Haymitch and Effie just behind you, you smiled and waved at the Capitol citizens once more, feigning happiness. Yes, you were still angry at them for trying to treat the Hunger Games like true sports. But you can't blame the citizens very much, can you? After all, you did come out of the Games alive, and like the rest of you they had to give the President at least some form of respect. But was it all real? You hadn't had much time to think this through before the train pulled away from the station, your hand still raised in farewell as you looked out the window, Peeta by your side. 

"Can't believe we're finally heading home," you murmured, smiling at Peeta sadly as you took his hand again. Though you didn't manage to say goodbye to Cinna and Portia due to the tight schedule Effie presented, you knew you'll see them again when you go on the Victory Tour in a few months. 

Peeta nodded as he squeezed your hand, gazing into your eyes. "Yeah. Finally, home to a normal life."

"You do mean everything, do you? About me being your girlfriend and everything?" you blurted out, unable to hold it in any longer.

"Of course I do." Peeta smiled gently and leaned in to kiss you again. "You think I'd lie to get myself alive? I wouldn't lie, (Y/N). Never in a million years."

"Good." You smiled and cupped his cheek, and he leaned into your hand now, the two of you just quietly enjoying the comfortable silence. Then Effie called you over to watch the final televised interview, which you both quickly did as you went over to her and Haymitch, watching the both of you talking to Caesar. For some reason, the both of you looked like you were going to a film awards thing instead of actually going through an interview for the Games, but Effie assured you both looked charming and cute, and even Haymitch agreed. 

"And this also calls for a celebratory dinner, of course!" Effie added, signalling a Peacekeeper over to bring over some dinner rolls, some groosling meat, and an elegant salad and lemon pie and chocolate pudding. You all heartily dug in, your appetite winning you out, and the sight of all this amazing stuff made you smile as you began to think of home, of your mom, Delly, even the Everdeen family. 

As you made your way through the lemon pie, you caught Haymitch staring at you, and you glanced up mid-chew. "Hmm?"

Haymitch laughed as he ate his salad. "You look like you haven't seen food in a while."

"Well, what with restricted meals after the Games, I suppose it wouldn't hurt looking like a pig for a bit," you joked, making everyone laugh. Oh, how you missed those fun times. But then a sudden thought occurred, and you felt yourself sink in your seat again.

"What's wrong?" Peeta asked.

You shrugged as you took his hand under the table. "Cato."

"He'll want this," Peeta murmured. "Remember what he did. Wasn't that what he promised? He'll want to see us laughing again the way we used to. So don't feel bad."

You nodded as a smile reappeared on your face, and you continued to dig into your pie now, enjoying yourself to the fullest. When you were done, you excused yourself to go to your room to change, and you did now, putting on your reaping dress again--not to relive your terrifying memory of volunteering for Prim and experiencing all of this, but just to make your mom proud, to make her know that you still honoured her and remembered her even in the Capitol. As you straightened your hair out again and brushed through it thoroughly, putting it back in a ponytail, you felt your smile widen. 

The train briefly stopped for fuel, and so you and Peeta got off the train, surprised at how close you are to home with the sight of wildflowers all around you.