Chapter twenty-one

Christmas was spent with family, and a week after new years, Nicky and Allie found themselves at Sammy and Lauren's wedding.

"Daddy, watch me" Jenna said and spun around so her dress would flare.

"I'm glad you like your dress" Nicky smiled.

"It's my flower girl dress" Jenna said.

"I know"

"Daddy" Jenna said.

"Yes princess"

"I'm thirsty"

"Ok" Nicky said. "Let's go get you something". He took Jenna over to the bar to get her something to drink and then they went back over to the table where Allie was sitting with Rory, Logan, Kate, Grace, Alex, and Aaron who was on Alex's lap.

"What'd you get, princess?" Allie asked.

"Apple juice" Jenna said.

"Good"

——

Late one night in March, Jenna walked into Nicky and Allie's bedroom where they were asleep. She climbed up onto the bed and tapped Allie's shoulder. "Mommy"

"What's wrong, princess?"

"I want you"

"Honey, you have to sleep in your own bed"

"No" Jenna said. "I wanna be with you"

"Come here" Allie said as she sat up and wrapped her arms around Jenna. "I love you so, so much. And I love to spend time with you, and to cuddle you, but you have your own bed for a reason, right?"

Jenna nodded.

"Do you want me to come put you back to bed?" Allie asked. Jenna nodded so Allie picked her up and brought her back to her own room.

Once Jenna was back in bed, Allie started to walk out of the room.

"No, mommy!"

"Ok. Ok" Allie said and sat back down on the side of Jenna's bed. "Go back to sleep" she said softly.

Every night was like that for the next several weeks. Jenna would wake up in the middle of the night, climb into Nicky and Allie's bed, and cry whenever they tried to leave her in her room. It has also gotten progressively harder to put her to bed. She'd cry if they left her alone so whoever put her to bed on any given night would end up staying in her room until she fell asleep.

At one point Nicky got an idea so one day after work he picked Jenna up from the daycare and they stopped at a store on their way home.

"Daddy, are we getting a toy?" Jenna asked as they walked through the store.

"Not quite" Nicky said. He stopped walking and crouched down in front of Jenna. "We're gonna get some things to help you sleep"

When they got home, Jenna was very excited to show Allie what they bought.

"That's my night light, it makes stars" Jenna said

"It makes stars?" Allie asked.

"It's almost like a projector" Nicky said. "It puts stars up on the ceiling, makes it less dark in the room"

"And a kitty" Jenna said and handed Jenna a stuffed cat.

"Oh, it's heavy" Allie said. It was noticeably heavier than a stuffed animal usually is.

"Because we put him in the microwave"

"What?"

"They're called warmies, my grandparents got me one when I first started cancer treatments as a kid" Nicky said. "You put the doll in the microwave and it gets warm, I'm hoping it'll help her sleep"