Chapter two

After almost two weeks in the hospital, Nicky was finally home but still very much recovering.

On Monday, Nicky woke up around 11 to an empty bed and a note from Allie.

Went to class, back around 2.
I got you a muffin, it's in the bag on the counter.
Love you- Allie.

Nicky got up and brushed his teeth before leaving the bedroom to get some water so he could take his meds. He was surprised and a little startled when he found Kyle sitting on the couch. "What the hell, man?"

"Hey, you're awake" Kyle said. "Allie left a muffin or something for you"

"What are you doing here?" Nicky asked.

"Well, you see, my best friend had brain surgery two weeks ago and was just diagnosed with cancer for the second time in his life at the ripe age of 21. What do you think I'm doing here?" Kyle asked. Not only did Nicky's brain tumor turn out to be cancer, but a pet scan revealed that it was in his lungs too.

"I don't need a babysitter"

"Your girlfriend disagrees" Kyle said. Nicky rolled his eyes. "Hey, look, she's worried about you. She just wants to make sure you're ok"

"I know"

"So when do you start chemo?" Kyle asked.

"Soon. Probably right after new years but there's something that I have to do before I can start"

"What?"

"None of your business" Nicky said. "It's private. Between me and Allie"

"Oh, now you have to tell me"

Nicky sighed. "I'm about to start chemo and possibly radiation therapy, both of which affect fertility. Not really an issue right now, but if Allie and I ever decide to have kids, it will be. So we're taking...measures to make sure that we still have the option in the future"

"So basically what you're saying is that you have to do it in a cup"

"If you want to be childish about it then yes, that's exactly what I'm saying"

"Good for you, man" Kyle said. "Thinking about the future like that"

"Wasn't my idea"

"Allie's?"

"Doctor"

When Allie got home, Kyle was sitting at the kitchen table, studying. "Hey, where's Nicky?"

"Sleeping"

"Still?"

"Nah, he was up earlier, took some drugs, then kept almost falling asleep on the couch so he went to bed but he asked that one of us wake him when you got back"

"Ok. Thanks for being here" Allie said. She knew that Nicky could take care of himself but she also knew that he was still recovering from surgery and it made her feel better to know that he wouldn't be alone if anything happened.

"Of course" Kyle said. He collected his things and left.

Allie put her stuff down before going into the bedroom. She kicked her shoes off before climbing into bed next to Nicky and gently running her hand through his hair. "Babe" she whispered.

"Mmm?"

"You wanted me to wake you?"

"Yeah" Nicky sighed and sat up halfway. "I don't wanna sleep all day"

"How do you feel?"

"Tired, weak, no headache though"

"That's good"