Chapter 20: The little things

The whole ride back home was quiet but comfortable, each reeling from how eventful the day went. They arrived home and were already very exhausted, luckily the chef cooked and they ate quietly too.
Madison wanted to stay something and at the same time didn't want to say anything. She finally gathered courage when Robert got up and was about to retire to bed.

"Thank you for today, and for the hospital bills, I will pay you back I promise" she said with a firm voice. After listening to her mom, she knew she needed to be careful and not rush things. What if he was playing with her feelings again? She didn't want to look like a fool afterwards so she wanted to observe to know if he was being nice just because his father was about to hand over. If he was really just pretending, she had already planned to run away from the marriage, marriage contract or not. It will just be too heartbroken for her to stay.

Robert wanted to say something but he changed his mind and just continued walking back to the room. Today was a lot more than he expected so he wanted to cool off his head and sleep.
He got to his room and turned on the light, only to see an eyeglass case on his bedside table. He was surprised to see it there, it looked new, not like the one he lost. Who brought it here?

A small paper was attached so he took it to read, it said:

"I decided to get you another case so you don't have to leave your glasses bare when not in use. Try not to lose this one, don't move it out from this table. Yours truly - Madison"

By the time Robert was done reading, he couldn't stop the small smile at the corner of his lips. When he caught himself, he immediately cleared his throat and adjusted like nothing happened. He dropped the case and climbed into bed to sleep. He looked back at the case and chuckled. When did she even sneak it in? Must be when he was downstairs eating or something.

Suddenly, his phone rang and he picked up, it was Ivory Rogers.
"Hey" she said with her usual sultry voice.

"Why are you calling at such a late hour?" Robert asked stiffly.

"What? Is your wife there or something?" She chuckled and teased.

"If you have nothing better to say, I'll be hanging up" he said instead of answering her directly.

"Hold on, I wanted to know when we'll be able to see next, I miss you" Ivory said with a small whine and probably pouting.

"I don't know yet, I told you the company is being handed over. I'll come to your place myself" Robert said and hung up himself. He honestly didn't want to see her, he didn't feel like it and he tried to attribute it to the fact that he was busy and not because of Madison.

***

Madison got up the next morning and got dressed for work quickly, by the time she came down, Gabriella told her Robert had already left for work. She felt a little sad that she didn't see him but she waved it off and left with Maximus. She couldn't stop wondering what he thought of the gift she left in his room.

At the office, she came in to see her co-worker discussing with a little frown on their faces, she didn't understand what had happened so she asked.

"You left immediately after work so you didn't receive the news. The manager has resigned and a new one is coming today" one of her colleagues said.

"What? The manager resigned?" Madison was shocked. The former manager was a very kind elderly man and he was quite fond of her as well. He was one of the few people who treated her well so she was sad he resigned so abruptly without any notice. She did hope he was fine.

"So who's the new manager?" Madison asked curiously.

"I heard it's a young woman around your age, her name is Ivory Rogers. You know how women are, some can be sweet and some can be your worst nightmare" a male coworker said.

"Speak of the devil, she just arrived" a coworker said and everyone turned to look at the entrance. A beautiful young lady stepped into the office, her heels clicked as she walked. She was beautifully dressed in corporate wear that hugged her hourglass figure, she looked younger than Madison, probably in her early 20s. She had this seductive aura to her that made her look like her side job was snatching people's husbands. She was of average height and had a black waist-length hair, striking cobalt-blue eyes and thin but luscious pink lips.

Ivory was the same woman who Robert had an affair with on the side and behind Madison's back. The world was indeed a small world.

"Hello everyone, my name is Ivory Rogers and I'll be the new manager of this branch. I hope we can work together to bring the company to greater heights" she said, her face frosty and not at all welcoming. It was clear she was going to be a real pain in the ass of everyone present.

With no choice, everyone began to introduce themselves and their roles while Ivory shook hands with them. It got to Madison's turn and said,

"I'm Madison Salvatore, I work as a customer service here. Nice to work with you" she said and offered her hand.

"Hmm... Madison Salvatore, are you the famous billionaire Robert's wife?" Ivory asked as she eyed Madison up and down with a cunning glint in her eyes. She had received Madison's hand but she let it linger for a little longer.

"Yes, I am," Madison said with a little hint of pride in her voice.

"I see," Ivory said with a small smile at the edge of her lips.

---->

Hey guys, I'm sorry I didn't update yesterday, I was busy with personal issues.

I see our book has crossed 100 views mark, that calls for a celebration 🥳🎉 Thank you all so much ❤️

Stay tuned, lovelies.