The Beginning of the End

"Where is Nairobi?" the Professor asks me through the line.

"She's with Berlin, along with Denver and Helsinki. Moscow is with the hostages, and they've put Rio with them, which I think is a dumb idea," I say. Silence follows. "Listen, I know Nairobi said she's the boss, but she asked me to keep watch on the phone and talk to them about everything. She said I have some sense when it comes to planning, so here I am. I promise I'll do everything to salvage the plan and not sabotage anything. I'm not my brother or Tokyo."

"Understood," came his brief reply. "I won't let anyone else get killed, destroyed, or caught. So listen. Coming as far as you have is epic, and I give you my most sincere congratulations. I promise to get you out of there before they catch you all." I can't help but smile; it feels so good to hear another voice. "First, we'll get the hostages out of the basement."

"Ah, thank you. We don't have enough people left here to guard the hostages. Besides, we promised them freedom. So let them have it."

"We'll release them, but give me an hour. It's a very big spectacle for such a small audience."

I start to grin. I've missed this. Making a spectacle.

...Pressure. An unpleasant sensation. Being under pressure can lead to a variety of stress symptoms, including anxiety, sleep disturbances, irritability, concentration problems, and physical discomfort such as headaches or stomach issues. Mental conflict can lead to feeling torn, unsure about decisions, and difficulty in forming clear thoughts. It can leave one in a constant state of confusion. When someone is under pressure and internally conflicted, it can lead to paralysis, making it difficult to make decisions. The person may be torn between different options and unsure which one is right. Mental conflict can also lead to intense emotional strain, such as feelings of guilt, shame, frustration, or helplessness. Long-term, persistent pressure coupled with mental conflict can lead to serious health problems, including mental illnesses like depression or anxiety disorders, as well as physical illnesses due to stress. It's a state into which I unconsciously let myself slip further and further. While I was busy helping Nairobi with her new leadership position, I felt the pressure mounting internally. Both emotionally and in terms of stress. A ticking time bomb that threatened to explode at any moment, with consequences that were unpredictable. But when someone is in such a state, accustomed to being there for others and not for themselves, stopping the explosion of this bomb is nearly impossible, as one refuses to show even the slightest weakness...

"We're starting Plan Cameroon," Nairobi announces. "We are going to release the hostages we have in the basement and we're going to get a reporter and a cameraman to record it. We'll need someone to be interviewed. And my suggestion is Rio... I understand your anger, but we need you. You can do it without a mask, you're sympathetic."

"Do you think I'll go on TV?" Rio counters. "For Tokyo to see me from jail, smiling from ear to ear, doing an interview as if nothing had fucking happened. I'm a hostage now. Don't count on me for anything."

"It's not like we could have relied on your help as long as Tokyo wasn't on board," I mutter to myself, leaning back. I see him glance at me briefly before putting his head down on the table. They continue discussing who will conduct the interview. Berlin volunteers, but it's clear the others don't want him to do it, so I speak up to finally put an end to it.

"I'll do it, and that's final. Tokyo isn't here, Rio complains about everything, and Berlin isn't exactly the most popular person here right now. Nobody knows the faces of the rest of you, so to put an end to this, I'll do it." As Nairobi nods in agreement, I stand up to leave, but when my eyes meet Berlin's, I hesitate for a moment. He stares intensely into my eyes before I exit the room. "I'll catch some more sleep in the meantime."