Day X

DAY OF THE HEIST

FRIDAY

„Who decided on these?" I role my eyes at Rio's question. Since we started driving, he's been sitting next to me, fidgeting nervously with his leg and drumming his fingers on his gun. I love my brother dearly and I understand that he's nervous, but I'm on the verge of snapping at him or giving him a smack. It's the day of the Heist and right now we are sitting in the back of a truck driving to the place where we hid our equipment and weapons. The hideout is next to the road used by the transporter that carries paper for the currency printing into the Mint of Spain. The plan is to take over that vehicle and infiltrate the Mint.

"What's wrong with the masks?"

"They're not scary. In every movie, robbers wear scary masks." With that Denver takes of his mask and looks at it. "They're zombies, skeletons, maybe even the Grim Reaper. I don't know-" Suddenly Berlin points his gun at my brother. I furrow my brows and glare at him, preparing to step in.

"I assure you, that a psychopath with a gun is scarier than a skeleton."

"Enough." Moscow steps in. At least I am not the only one thinking Berlin is stupid at the moment. "Who is this guy supposed to be?" Denver asks. 'I am surrounded by idiots'. Taking a deep breath I answer "Dali."

"He was a Spanish painter, very good one." Moscow elaborates. "A painter?" his son questions. "Yes".

"A painter who like paints?" Again I furrow my brows incredulously. Is he stupid? What else is a painter supposed to do other than paint? Milk cows or what? Tokyo and I exchange gazes, asking the same silent question: 'did he really just ask that?' "Yes" his father answers.

"Do you know what's really fucking scary? Some Cartoons for kids. Those are really fucking scary."

"What Cartoons?" With that, Berlin took of his mask.

"Goofy, Pluto, Mickey Mouse, all those guys."

"You're saying a mouse with ears is scarier? Is that what you're saying?" Rio buts in.

"Yeah, asshole, wanna get kicked into the fucking nuts? –"

"Hey!" Moscow scolds his son but he's not listening. "They're scary. Listen to me. If some ass with a gun comes in some place with a Mickey Mouse mask on, people will think he's a psycho, who wants to massacre everyone. Know why? Because weapons and children are two things you should never put together. Yes or no?" Huh, I guess he has a point. Still, I think this whole conversation is just unnecessary. "If you look at it that way it's more dangerous right? It's more twisted." Moscow answers. With that Nairobi slides her mask up and us three girls look at each other, trying our best not to laugh. "Than a Jesus mask would be terrifying!" Berlin buts in. "More innocent."

"Like that saying," Moscow turns to Berlin "better to have two guns than a crucifix."

"Actually it's 'a saint with two guns'." My Brother exclaims.

"What's the difference?"

This crew obviously needed more women. A woman can spend two days choosing shoes for a wedding, but she wouldn't spend a minute arguing over masks for a heist. We came to a stop and Moskow left the truck, before it took off again. He is going to put up some barriers. In the meantime the rest of us drive to the hideout, waiting for the transporter. The second the vehicle stops we jump out and put on our masks and hoods. I wonder if I should feel pity for the innocent lives we would stop in their tracks, wondering if I should feel some kind of guilt. But honestly I don't really care. Sure I kind of feel sorry but focus on the goal and the hope that comes with it. With the money, Rio will be able to live his life in peace. He wouldn't have to work for the rest of his life and with the help of the Professor, and his plans for us after the heist is done, he would be able to hide from Interpol and all the other organizations that would be after us the second we step into the Mint with our guns ready. Even though I don't show it often, and even though I wasn't always the perfect older sister, I love Anibal with all my might. I would do everything to give him a chance for a better life. Our parents weren't always as shitty as they are today, but at the same time, they were never really there for us and almost always working. Most of the time it was me, that took care of Anibal; it didn't matter that I only was a few years older than him. When he had trouble with kids in school - I was there, when he had trouble because of his hacking - I was there. And the thought of him happily lying on a hanging mattress in the middle of a tropical island makes my heart skip a beat.