Decisions and Sacrifices

"We're risking three things. Getting killed, getting wounded, getting caught," the Professor said as he walked through the rows, explaining the day's agenda. "Today we're going to talk about the last one." He took the pen from Tokyo's hand, with which she had been doodling on a sheet of paper. "Tokyo, what do you do if you get caught?"

"Kick 'em in the nuts?" Denver laughed from behind her.

"You must always keep in mind the golden rule of the heist: buy time," the Professor wrote the rule on the board before turning to the group. "Buying time and, indeed, exhausting every possible way of doing so." He tossed the pen back to Tokyo.

...The worst thing that can happen when you're leading a heist is, first: getting arrested for knocking out the inspector's ex-husband. Second: the police asking you for your ID but you can only give them a fake one. Third: that they take your fingerprints. And worse, that they match the ones found on a patrol car that is part of the investigation. Fourth: That they take your belongings. Including the keys to the hangar where you run the operation and through which your team will escape. And a flask with poison that you were going to use to kill the Inspector's mother hours ago. And so, the Professor found himself eventually arrested at the police station...

"Tokyo lost her mind. She couldn't take it... And it's not easy... But I had no choice but to hand her over." Silence. No one says anything. "Let's hold hands." Silence. "Please. We're all risking our lives here." Helsinki extends his hand towards Moscow so that Moscow can take it. "It wouldn't kill you to hold hands." Slowly, I place my hand in Nairobi's, who sits to my left, and extend the other to Rio on my right. "When you have a wound..." Moscow and I, both sitting by Rio's side, continue to hold out our hands to him, but Rio, who sits directly opposite Berlin, looks at him with murderous intent and ignores us "... the platelets come together to close it." I wiggle my fingers to signal to him to give me his hand, who knows what Berlin will do otherwise. "If they don't, the body will die." He looks directly back at Rio. "We are wounded, and we must unite."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Rio."

"Who do you think you are? A preacher? The leader of a cult? Will you guys fly to space holding his hand?"

"Rio, you need to calm down, now."

"No, I won't calm down. You sent Tokyo to prison. And you have the nerve to ask me to calm down. She's my girlfriend. My girlfriend. And you ruined her life."

"It's your first love. Summer is over, you say goodbye to Suzanne in the French Riviera. It seems like the end of the world, but it's not."

"Shut your fucking mouth, you damn psychopath. You have no idea what you're saying, okay? Has anyone gone crazy? Moscow? Do you think what he did was right?"

"Son... she lost it. We all saw it." He nods disappointedly. "Venice." My heart skips a beat; he won't like this.

"There are rules here. We voted and she didn't accept it, and then she lost it."

"Denver, you realize this is bullshit, right?"

"Of course, I do, man. But she played Russian roulette with Berlin. What do you think?"

"Nothing happened, damn it."

"But it was close, this close." I turn to him, irritated, gesturing with my hand. "Come on. Open your eyes. Tokyo lost it, and we can't have a loose cannon like that in here."

"I don't believe it. You're all siding with Berlin. You're all with a psychopath!"

"No. No, we're not all on Berlin's side." I look at him frustrated and angry, why doesn't he understand? "We're all on the Professor's side."