18 | help and healing

The Brew Shot cafeteria was in the town square, a marquee overlooked by the stone lions. Around the edges were food vendors, giving the middle of the town a sort of market atmosphere. The colors of the inside tuned into the daylight as if they had once been timid to greet the rays.

It stood as a sanctuary where one could cocoon themselves in the illusion of a caring society. Tables dotted the space, each occupied by imaginary companions forming a transient community.

Here, amidst the ebb and flow of humanity, the need for social bonds manifested palpably. Even in solitude, the innate longing for connection lingered, compelling individuals to seek solace in the semblance of camaraderie.

Life's journey often demanded the mantle of a warrior, thrusting individuals into the role of protector rather than the protected. Yet, there persisted a primal need to deceive the senses, to immerse oneself in the illusion of safety and belonging. Amidst the cacophony of voices, the aroma of coffee and the fleeting glances exchanged, felt comforting, however fleeting it could be.

"So, how's the case going, Molly Rayne?" Mr. Bingo inquired as he leaned back in his chair.

"We just started, no major clues yet; just what we had found earlier." Molly responded with a faint smile.

"Did you tell them about your sources yet?"

A moment of guilt flashed across her eyes but she swiftly collected herself and explained, "I told them that it was complicated and not as straightforward, so they'd have to rely on linking my existing clues rather than finding it themselves, at least for now."

"At least for now," Mr. Bingo remarked, sipping his tea. "On another note, I wanted to apologize for what happened before."

"What do you mean?" Molly remarked with a raised eyebrow.

Was he referring to his earlier interactions with me? If it was that, I had already forgiven him long before. Besides, I could understand why he must've been adamant about me taking up the case. He looks well aware of what he's doing so far. But why did he need my help?

"For how I reached out to you regarding my dad's cause," Mr. Bingo paused for a moment, diverting his attention away from her and looked around the crowded café, "It was simply that... I wasn't sure whether you'd help unless there was something personal at risk. It's human psychology, you see. But I was also so distraught about his death, I was willing to go to any extent to get you to take up the matter and investigate it thoroughly. I should've done better"

His voice cracked, even as he struggled to stay composed. Molly rested her hands on his and reassured him.

"You don't have to apologize, Mr. Bingo. While that was a strange way to request support, I could understand your reasoning behind it. I will help you, even if everything I know is at stake."

"Nicole," he said with an embracing grin, "and thank you for understanding me even though I wasn't able to explain myself properly."

A flash of recognition crossed Molly's eyes. She overlooked the rest of the speech following the name.

Wasn't Nicole the first child of Dane Wade? That must mean he wasn't lying when he confessed that statement. What about Paige then? Where was he?

"Nicole as in.." Molly repeated herself to ensure she wasn't dreaming or misinterpreting facts.

"Yes, Dane's first child," he explained, "Nice to meet you too."

A period of quiet between them was broken by Molly's little snicker which escalated into raucous laughter between them.

"I can't believe I'm chuckling over the revelation of my own name, darn it. "Maybe I should do this more often." Nicole responded, stifling his giggles as a beaming smile shone through.