Chapter 39

KATE

"I can't believe we won", I let out, staring at the trophy resting on the backseat. "Can you imagine?", I keep going on. Only a few hours ago the jury named us, the cheer squad at Colton Private High School, national champions, and ever since it feels like I have been living a dream. After celebrating with the team and almost suffocating my best friends with what must have been the tightest hug ever, an interview I had to give together with Mae for a local newspaper and some more photos with the team, I a, sitting in Cal's car, after my parents have agreed to let me spend the five hour drive with him. I felt bad to leave my besties behind, but Vee and Liv decided to take the train back to New York, saying they'll spend a bit of time in the city first. Aaron decided to tag along, which fairly didn't make Vee so happy. Honestly, I could see something flicker in Liv's gaze too, something like she wouldn't want him there, yet she quickly slipped back to her normal self and hugged him, welcoming him to their Washington day out.

"I can", Cal pulls me out of my thoughts. "You are the best. And the jury saw that too."

"Some other teams were really good too", I start feeling bad. "And they all put so much work into-"

"Katie", Cal chuckles. "You won. Own it."

I take a deep breath, pushing the guilt away, and trying to focus on the good. Only now images of Liv, Vee and Aaron in Washington flash in my mind, and I have to frown: "Do you think they'll be okay?"

"Who would be okay?", Cal asks me, genuinely worried at how concerned I am.

"Liv and Vee", I answer. "The whole day in Washington. Alone."

"Your brother is with them", he tries to assure me. As he sees that didn't do the trick, he continues: "I'm sure they'll be fine. And besides, Avery might as well threaten any person who tries to harm them. I'm sure nothing wrong will happen to them."

Okay, that sounds a lot like what my bestie would do.

As I see the familiar buildings of Blank Valley again, I secretly wished Washington were further away, for I would give anything to be able to spend more time with him.

Only Cal surprises me and instead of driving down the road leading to my house, he takes the first right, straying from the way.

"Cal, where are we going?", I ask him, suddenly every nerve being alert. Not because I wouldn't trust him. I really do. But the smile on his face tells me there is a surprise coming.

"You'll love it", he answers, not divulging much.

I chuckle, my eyes glued to the window, taking in every building we pass, wondering what this surprise might be.

Cal only parks the car as we arrive in front of Sweetheart Delights and I let out a squeal, throwing my arms around his neck. "You did not", I let out, still not believing where we are.

"We had to celebrate the day somehow", he replies. There is an adorable smile on his face, one so nervous, loving and caring at once, I lose it and kiss him.

"Baby, you'd better be careful", he lets out, his voice hoarse as he places his hands on my waist. "You make it really tempting to ditch the pink empire all together."

And it might be his tone, but I get rid of my seatbelt and climb over til I'm sitting on his lap, my feet at each of his sides, my chest glued to his, both of us keeping the stare. "Oh, really", I tease him. "What do you have in mind?"

"Christ", he breathes, before kissing me once again. "You are something else."

We may or may not have delayed our coffee shop entry with half an hour or so.

~

"I can't believe it", I say, looking at Callum Slade, THE Callum Slade, the one who last time when he came here, he had a plain water bottle, now settle for a dark coffee. It's eight in the evening and clearly too late for that, but he seems to enjoy it, so I don't comment. That much.

"You can't believe what?", he asks me, taking a sip from the named coffee.

"You are finally opening up to this place", I go on. "Look at you. It's called progress. Progress, baby."

The faded tones of the background music playing in the distance, they are covered by my heart beating like crazy for this man.

"I still hate the pink", he mumbles. I sneak a peek at my pink cookie, pink bow keeping my hair in a ponytail and pink sneakers. "Not on you", he clearly clarifies. "I love making your cheeks blush pink."

Okay, now they are definitely blushing pink.

"You still haven't tried the cookie", I say in a singing voice.

"I already had it last time", he mutters.

"You had the Love Is In The Air cookie", I insist. "This one is the Cupid's Chokehold cookie."

"You're shitting me. That's not a real thing."

"Yes it is", I don't give up. "Now open your mouth." He chuckles, yet opens his mouth, and I put a piece of the cookie inside.

"It's too sweet", he groans.

"It's heaven on Earth."

"It tastes like bottled rainbows."

"Very creative, but yeah... I like rainbows."

"Me too. To look at them. Not eat them."

We fall into silence, before I break in a laughter, and a smile grows on his lips at the sight of me.

I'm only stopped by what I recognise to be the opening tones of Heart Of Glass playing in the background.

And a mouth twitch on Cal's part.

"You did not", I quickly piece two and two together. The knowing wink the woman at the counter gave him. How he stayed a bit longer to tell her something...

"You said it is your happy song, Katie", he answers. I can hear the volume getting louder, making the other costumers give some curious glances, but none of them comment.

The music is simply too good for comments.

And also not caring what the others think I stand up, head over to Cal, tap him on the shoulder as he wraps an arm around my waist pulling me closer, and I ask: "Would you like to dance with me?"

"Now?", he counters surprised.

I only nod.

"Are you sure?"

I only nod.

"You're really making me do the whole Shut Up And Dance moment, aren't you?", he chuckles, standing up and placing his arms on my waist, as I wrap mine around his neck.

We started getting confused glances from the tables nearby, yet I am too lost in this guy's eyes to care.

"Is it working?", I ask him.

He smiles as he softly touches my lips with his. "I'd dance with you even if the whole planet was watching us."

"Oh, Mr. Slade, when did you turn into such a romantic?", I tease.

"Ever since a girl like the sunshine walked into my life." And the smile he offers me now, I'd give my whole soul to keep seeing that smile. "But don't tell anyone", he continues, his tone a whisper, as if it were a secret only between us. "Cause, you see, I'm a romantic only for her."

"She's a very lucky girl", I whisper, so close to tear up at his voice. He's swinging with me to the music. The song already ended, but the woman at the counter played it again. Something I'll have to thank her later for.

"He's even luckier", he breathes.

And as The Walters started singing "I Love You So" in the background, it hit me.

Suddenly all the songs were about him.