Chapter 31

CALLUM

After what must have been the best two hours of my life, in which Katie and I never left the bedroom, burned the cupcakes hereby and later had to make another batch, we're sitting on the couch, her head on my lap as we're watching one of her favourite movies. She got her sweater dirty with frosting as we were making the second round of cupcakes, so I offered her one of my hoodies as the sweater is currently in the washing machine. Honestly, I selfishly want the sweater to never dry off so she can stay in my hoodie. I gave her the first hoodie I put my hand on, which happened to be my hockey one. As she turned around to put it on and I saw the sight of her with my name on her back, a primal instinct must have kicked inside me, and I wanted to make love with her with only that hoodie on her.

Which we did.

And now every time I look at that hoodie, flashbacks of those moments pop inside my mind.

I really hope she's keeping that hoodie, for it was only ever meant to be hers.

"I don't get the movie", I tell her. Truth is, I also put more thought in playing with a strand of her hair, it used to be braided but that changed during said two hours; than actually trying to understand it. All I know is that it is supposed to be about a girl obsessed with pink (no wonder why Katie likes it), who got into Harvard Law.

"It's the best movie", Katie says, then starting to smile bright as she points with her finger at the screen. "Here it comes", she tells me excited. I am still not looking at the movie, but at her as, with her mouth twitched, she says along with the character on the screen: "What, like it's hard?" After the girl on the screen moves on to rant to a guy, who I by now realised is her ex, Katie sighs dreamy and adds: "Elle Woods is such an icon. I want to be her when I grow up."

"So you want to go to law school?", I ask interested.

Katie looks up at me and nods. "I guess so. That, or open my own bakery. Yet my parents might not allow. They are always there for me and support my dreams, but I doubt they'd be okay with me living my life baking cakes."

"Well", I say, my soul aching for her and the sadness in her eyes. "No matter what you'll choose, I'll be there for you, each step of the way."

Something else grows in Katie's eyes, and honestly also surprise that I talked about the future and was sure we would still be together. But that's what she doesn't know. Katie and I aren't a possibility. We're a constant. No matter if now, in five years, ten or eternity, my heart will forever beat for Katie Blake.

"I love you, Cal", she whispers, pressing her lips on mine. Then, after wrecking my world and piecing it together with a kiss, she asks: "What about you? What do you see yourself doing?"

"Probably hockey", I answer. "It's what I love most." I wink at her once, before clarifying: "Well, that used to be true. It's what I love second most."

"What's first?", she asks.

"You."

A smile fills her face as she says: "You'll be the best hockey player this world has ever seen, Callum Slade. I am sure of it."

"That makes one of us", I find myself muttering. I don't know when the words came out. I never discussed this with anybody. The fear of not being enough. Of failing. Everybody faces it at one point, yet when being an athlete, it can mean the difference between a won Championship and getting benched.

"Bullshit", Katie curses, surprising me. She rarely curses. "Sorry, but that's bullshit. If you weren't good, you wouldn't have gotten that offer from the NHL team."

How could she know about the offer from the Rangers?

"You knew?", I ask her.

She nods, cheeks flushing an embarrassed pink. "Aaron mentioned it once."

That fucker...

"I'll be gone most Summer", I find myself saying. It didn't affect me at first, but thinking about not seeing Katie for that long, uneasiness creeps through. "And after graduation."

Katie nods, as if she knew. "You'll do great." She must have noticed the way I tensed, for she continues, her tone playful. "And besides, I have always thought I look good in blue, red and white. They must brace themselves because Mr. Slade will have the cutest girlfriend there is."

There are a few things I notice at once. One, how she knew the colors of the Rangers jersey, clearly having looked it up. Then how she also acknowledged us still being together by then.

My heart skips a beat.

"You always look good, baby", I tell her before tickling her. She starts laughing begging me to stop, also throwing a pillow in my face at one point. We're kissing between still teasing each other with tickles and throwing pillows, when the front door flies open.

"Cal, we're home", I can hear Mom say.

Katie freezes next to me, suddenly bolting up straight. This is not how I wanted her to meet my parents. They were supposed to be away on a date, meaning Katie and I would get the house all to ourselves.

"Cal, do you want me to-", she whispers at me, but just then, my Mom enters the living room and sees her. Her eyes fill with surprise, yet I've told her about Katie before. Maybe not about our date today, but about how she is my girlfriend and the only girl I've ever loved and will ever love. Apart from my Mom, obviously, but that's another type of love.

"Oh, hey sweetie", Mom lets out. Then with a smirk. "I'm Barbara Slade, Cal's mom. It's so nice to finally meet the mystery girl who swept my son off his feet."

It's then I know I'm in trouble.