Chapter 35

KATE

"What's he doing here?", I ask as Liv and I arrive at the front door. Ever since that afternoon two weeks ago as Liv came crying at our place, Aaron has done his best to fill her time with activities so that she forgets about her situation at home. Today, he insisted I come with them at a football game. Yeah, you heard me right. Football game. For whatever reason, my brother suggested football.

I knew something was suspicious about that, yet I still agreed. If only to spend more time with Liv.

But I should have stayed home.

Because standing in front of our door along with my brother is Liam.

"Hey, babe", he greets me, before he turns to look at Liv. "Hi, Olivia."

"No", I let out. "No, no, no." I send Aaron a death glare, clearly the one behind this all. Ever since that afternoon when he saw Cal in my room, he grew more aware. More watching. It was nearly impossible for Cal and I to go out these past few weeks, all thanks to Aaron's hawk eyes.

But the feeling inside me tells me the storm is only just brewing, ready to be unleashed.

"What is he doing here?", I almost shout. Although I'm in a Colton sweater, some baggy jeans and sambas, I feel almost naked. He shouldn't be here. He shouldn't be close to me. I hate when he's close to me, because it reminds me too much of who I used to be.

"Liam is a friend and I invited him", Aaron replies. It's then he gets on his bike, making it clear there is no room for discussion. "You coming? We wouldn't want to miss the game."

I have a feeling something very bad is about to happen.

~

I should have never come to the game.

Everybody keeps staring at me as we enter the stadium, me alongside with Liam. For Aaron and Liv are walking in front of us, and no matter how many times Liv tries to slow the pace to catch up with me, Aaron pulls her back to him. And no matter how many times I try to walk far away from Liam, he comes closer and walks at the same pace with me.

I swallow hard as I pass my classmates, some of my friends, members of the cheer squad... All starting to whisper how Liam and I got back together. I see some of Cal's friends, and that's when the guilt really settles in. They'll tell Cal what they saw. And Cal would think I'm back with Liam. Although my heart only beats for my boyfriend.

Oh fuck

I spot Henry on the way, the guy having caught my stare. He raises an eyebrow as his eyes slide on the guy next to me. Hoping to make him understand, I shake my head once and beg him for help with my eyes. I don't know if he got it, but he gives me a reassuring nod, before he disappears in the crowds.

As we arrive at our seats, I am so close to want to puke. Aaron goes first, tugging Liv close to him. I go next to my bestie. And that leaves Liam. Sitting next to me. I feel his knee brushing against mine, the gesture clearly not accidental. I move closer to Liv, who keeps looking at me worried.

"Katie, would you like us to switch places?", my bestie asks. "The view is better from here."

"Sweetheart, I thought we were sitting together", Aaron counters. He clearly enjoys the seat order right now, probably trying to bring me back together with Liam.

I swallow hard. "It's fine, babe", I tell Liv, offering her a thankful gaze at the attempt. "Thanks though."

She nods, yet the worries still remain in her eyes.

I can see Liam's hand getting closer to me, and I almost crash into Liv from how much I'm backing up, when we can suddenly hear voices from the row behind us. "Coming through", Henry's voice tones. "Excuse me. Coming through."