13-Flowers

I woke up in a hospital room. My parents were both at my side, their faces tense and worried. I bolted upright. "Where's Connor?" And then I laid back down, feeling weak. My parents ignored my question with their own. "Are you ok?" I felt like I was half awake. "Ya, just tired. I could use some water." Immediately a nurse rushed over to me with a cup of water. "She should be ok, if you want to take her home now. If she passes out again, come right back," the nurse told my parents. I was brought out to the car in a wheelchair. Our car had been returned. After I was carefully set into the car I asked again, "Is Connor ok?" My parents glanced nervously at each other. Then my mother spoke, "Honey, I'm so sorry, but Connor died. He leapt in front of you as the man shot. He was killed immediately, because he was struck in the heart. I'm so sorry."
"No!" I screamed, shocked and upset. I had started to like him, and he had been the nicest to me out of the three. Cries of sadness escaped my lips before I stopped them. Loud sobs turned to quiet tears that were no less painful as we pulled up to our little home. The rest of the day felt like a blur, and before I knew it I was asleep. The next day I wore my only black dress. Today was Connor's funeral. It wasn't anything fancy of crowded because he was a criminal with no money. Joe and Bill were there. They were sitting in the very back, chains on their hands and feet, and flanked by police officers. The service was short, but there was a viewing. Only Connor's head was showing out of the brown, undecorated casket. I assume this was to prevent showing off the bloody bullet wound to the heart. I shed only a few tears this time before turning around and almost bumping into Joe and his guards. "Penelope," he said in a pleading voice that was begging I'd listen after what he had done. My parents started to pull me away from him, but I shrugged them off. "It's ok," I told my parents.         
       "Penelope, I want to start off by saying sorry. But I also was hoping you would do me a favor. I know you might say no, but I am going to ask anyway. I'm going to be in prison for a while, so I was wondering if you could remember to put flowers on Connor's and Grandfather's graves for me?" Tears shown in his pleading eyes. "Y-yes, of course," I was a little stunned that he, a criminal, would ask something like that. "Yes. I will remember to do that," I said in a more confident voice. "And," I added as Joe turned to leave. "I forgive you, Joe." Then I left the building with my parents, and went to pick some flowers.
                                     The End