19. [ nightmare ]

TEENAGE DIRTBAG

TEENAGE DIRTBAG

chapter 19

[ nightmare ]

it was cold. colder than normal in this fractured and moulding so-called 'house' that was filled with nothing but memories. the worst humanly possible memories for a young boy.

the wind harshly battered against the windows as if it were trying to break in and cause nothing but hectic damage; can you break something that was already broken?

or someone?

a faint dripping sound filled the gaps of silence when the wind stopped. most would think it's nothing but rain as the clouds pour their souls out on every living thing and object before. but ethan had heard this sound too many times for it to not be familiar. it was haunting.

he took one step, then another. the floorboards creaked. "hello?" his voice echoed throughout the wooden house, yet a response was something he knew he wouldn't get.

or so he thought? his dark eyes skimmed across his view of something he had always wished to never see again, that was until he felt a quick burst of cool breeze behind him as the sudden feeling of eyes on him sunk into his stomach. he didn't have to turn around to know who it was.

"ethan." the rough and ragged, hoarse voice of a man filled his ears loudly as if he were leaning into ethan's ear. the scent of cigarettes and strong alcohol hit his nose instantly and it was almost suffocating.

ethan shook his head, "no, no, no, no..." he mumbled. he didn't move - he couldn't. his feet and legs were frozen like his muscles stopped working. he wanted to run. he wanted to scream. he wanted to yell. he wanted to cry. but he couldn't do any of those things. and if he did? well, the consequences of any of those things will make him never want to do it again.

"you're not real." ethans voice was a mere whisper, anything louder and his voice would've cracked. "you can't be real. this isn't real." ethan shook his head once more with his eyes squeezed shut this time.

"open your eyes, ethan." the voice seemed softer this time and it was almost pleading-like. it was tempting, this was a tone he wasn't used to. but he couldn't give in. "open your fucking eyes!" the once soft spoken words turned into an angry yell, it was loud and ethan couldn't help but let his hands shoot up to his ears as the voice echoed loudly off the walls.