Tired

Dean's pov

Pulling into the driveway after a ten hour shift, I slowly got out of my car and trudged into the house, kicking the snow off my boots before entering.

"Fuckin' winter," I grumbled, stripping off all my outerwear before stepping too far into the kitchen. Amy will have a fit if I track slush or snow in the house again. This has been a rough winter so far and we're not even halfway through it. Freezing cold temps, icy roads and heavy snowfalls have us trapped inside most of the time and we're all getting a bit stir crazy.

Unfortunately, I don't get any snow days with my job so Amy and Sammy have been bearing the brunt of taking care of the kids. If I have to go on one more call for some dumbass fuckin' motorist who spun out and landed in a ditch, I swear I'm gonna lose my mind. Why does everybody forget how to drive in the snow when winter starts? Most of these idiots I'm helping shovel out have lived in this town for years.

Sammy's been doing a lot of work on the basement though too since we're getting so close to having it finished. Then we'll be able to move Alex down there so Katie and Drew can finally have their own rooms. That leaves my poor lady with the bulk of the childcare duties.

"Hey baby," I greeted Amy with a kiss on the cheek, seeing she was folding laundry in the living room.

"Hi sweetheart," she replied wearily, sighing in despair.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Usually she's the cheery one who's more optimistic and glass is half full while I'm the more cynical, moody there's never enough beer in my glass kinda guy.

"Nothing," she replied extremely unconvincingly, as she turned her attention back to folding some t-shirts. "I'm just tired."

"Are you still upset about the whole reckless driving thing with Alex and me spanking him?" I asked. I honestly thought we were on the same page with that whole situation and had finally moved past it but now I'm not so sure.

"No, not at all. That's not it. I just..." Amy looked as if she was ready to spill her guts but something made her change her mind.

"Hey," I replied, taking the shirt from her hands and turning her towards me. I hate seeing her so down and depressed. "Talk to me," I said, setting the shirt down and holding her squarely by the shoulders so she couldn't avoid answering me.

Sighing again, she replied sadly, "It's nothing really. The kids have just been a bit of a handful today, that's all."

Noticing she said the kids, indicated to me quite clearly my daughter was somehow involved.

"What did she do?" I asked lowly.

"Dean, it's alright, just forget I said anything. Ok?" Amy replied softly, her voice catching as she fought back tears.

"No, it's obviously not alright if it has you this upset," I said, trying to turn her towards me but she pulled away. "Amy, look at me," I said, softening my tone so she'd comply.

When she briefly looked me in the eye, I saw the sadness she'd been trying to hide. Pulling her into my arms, I hugged her tightly as she began to cry. I held her head against my chest as I rubbed her back and swayed her slowly.

"I'm sorry," she finally choked out, after calming down. "It's just been a rough day with the kids," Amy sniffled, dabbing at her eyes.

"Why didn't you ask Sammy for help, or why didn't you call me?" I asked, my chest tightening seeing my lady hurting.

"Sam's been out all day getting supplies for the basement. He had to drive two hours to get some part he needed for the plumbing otherwise it would have taken over a month to get here if he had to order it."