Chapter 27 - The Empire (1)

The afternoon had passed, and the sun was starting to set. With every jolt of the carriage, the elongated shadow swayed.

It had been a dull journey. The distance from Duke Brusek’s residence to the capital of the Empire was quite far.

In an attempt to stretch and relieve my fatigue, I was about to yawn when the coachman tapped on the carriage wall.

“Get ready. We’re almost there.”

I opened the window slightly and stretched my neck, and there, at the end of the horizon, I saw the towering white walls of Asrai.

Finally!

I felt genuine excitement that the end of this boring journey was approaching.

There had been quite a few difficulties along the way.

Although we stopped in some villages, we camped frequently due to taking the fastest route possible.

‘It was quite suffocating being confined to the carriage.’

While it was possible to practice mentally, it was challenging to use time efficiently.

There were many occasions when even brushing my teeth was a challenge due to a lack of water.

The solution was simple in those cases—I simply skipped meals.

Since I was swinging my sword without even eating, the coachman sometimes looked at me as if I were a madman.

‘But at least I was able to ride in a carriage.’

One of the advantages of being a spy was that the operational expenses were usually generous.

This applied not only to Haisen but also to other places. It was the same when playing games.

As the missions were difficult, they provided conveniences in other areas. Otherwise, the likelihood of betrayal would increase.

Anyway, thanks to that, I was able to ride in a carriage.

‘I wonder if the others have already arrived.’

Denif would have reached the capital before I left Haisen, and Orhen would have arrived a little later.

Finding the secret base was the issue, but I hoped they did well. They weren’t foolish.

Suddenly, the moment of departure came to mind. Orhen had teary eyes in front of the duke’s mansion.

Denif said he was fine, but I was slightly worried about Orhen. Recent events had been tough for her.

Well, I could only hope she adapted well.

“That is Chenarus’ white wall.”

In the midst of my daydreaming, the distance between me and the capital seemed to be closing.

In the vast plains, I could see the tall and sturdy white walls and, beyond that, the towering white palace.

That was the famous White City.

Chenarus, the capital of the Kaiyan Empire. It was known as the city where all buildings were predominantly white, hence the nickname.

Even though I felt it while playing games, seeing it in person, the overwhelming grandeur exceeded my imagination.

Perhaps because it was the capital of the Empire, there were quite a few people trying to enter. Due to the time, the number of people leaving was low, but still.

The carriage gradually slowed down. The decreasing speed seemed slower than I expected, but it was bearable.

After a while, a bored-looking guard came out and scanned the carriage from top to bottom.