Chapter 24 - Graduation Ceremony (1)

“Is it over?”

“It’s over.”

The underground corridor fell into darkness. Above the fallen bodies, Denif’s resolute voice echoed through the familiar darkness.

Nevertheless, I used Winds to confirm our surroundings. It was to prevent any potential incidents.

There was no one alive inside the building.

“I’ve checked.”

As soon as I finished speaking, we turned on our magic-powered flashlights. Fallen bodies cluttered the underground corridor.

We used our feet to push people aside and checked their faces.

Because we had to see the deaths of our targets with our own eyes.

It took less than a minute to find a man with a large mole on his left cheek.

“Here he is.”

“Did you find him?”

Denif approached and examined his face. It was the man who engaged in human trafficking while running a loan shark business.

There was no sense of satisfaction.

“He’s worse than the recent ones we caught.”

If we don’t kill, we’ll be killed.

I had learned that lesson painfully over the past three years. Petty kindness and leniency invite threats to our lives.

Now, these moments were numbed by familiarity. Come to think of it, time flew by so quickly.

It had already been over three years since I came here.

Sixteen.

By this place’s standards, I had become an adult, with a height that had increased and a handsome face that remained unchanged.

“Now let’s clean up.”

I stepped outside the building with Denif.

Denif carried a drum of oil that we had prepared in the alley and went back inside the building.

It was the task of erasing the traces. Meanwhile, I climbed up the wall and onto the roof.

I focused on my magic power and expanded my Winds.

Since we had already killed the men who held the slums in their grip, I wasn’t too worried.

I had also prevented any screams from escaping, and even if they did, how many people would come investigating?

As expected, the slums in the early morning were quiet. But I remained vigilant.

While maintaining my concentration, I took a handkerchief out of my pocket. I intended to wipe away the blood on my body at least a little.

‘It always bothers me.’

I had gotten used to the work, but this mysophobia never became familiar.

Some time passed, and Denif walked out of the door.

The smell of oil wafted through my nose. When I went closer to check, the smell was even stronger on his body.

I scowled in disapproval.

“You got it on your body again?”

“This is weird. It seems to be leaking a bit.”

“The drum is weird. Did it get into your body again?”

“No, it didn’t. It’s true.”

Denif widened his eyes and raised both hands in defense when I glared at him.